Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: International
Rated Cap: 77
Getting behind the wiring panel of a '95 Carpenter International..

So we have a wisp of smoke that comes up any time we idle. Current theory is that the stereo is installed poorly and a wire is live against another one. It doesn't effect the engine at all as the bus still drives just fine. Just a pretty distinct acrid electrical smell and smoke.

What should I do? I'm planning on disconnecting the batteries and taking the drivers seat out and trying to disassemble the panel covering. I have friends with knowhow and voltage detectors and whatnot but I want to get in there.

McPuccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Did you try changing the stations? Might be listening to too much smokey Blues.

Pull the fuse for the radio and see what happens??

Keep doing that w/ fuses until you isolate sparky.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Where does this wisp of smoke appear? I'm not familiar with the Carpenter body, but it sounds like you might be describing the wiring cabinet many buses have just to the left of the driver. That's usually accessible only from the outside though, so I don't follow why the seat would be removed.

I'd have a look at fuses and circuit breakers... particularly looking for any place that looks like a fuse/breaker has been removed or bypassed, or looking for circuits that connect to a power source without any fusing at all.

The relation to idling is interesting. Is it truly that, or could it have more to do with the bus standing still -- when it's still there's less wind; a small wisp of smoke might easily vanish in wind but become visible when the air is still. Maybe it's really smoking all the time but visible only sometimes.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote