Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2020, 06:52 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: International Harvester
Chassis: S1753
Engine: V8 6.9L
Ground Wire

Is It Ok To Ground Wires To ANY Metal Surface Of The Bus Or Does It HAVE To Be The Chassis? I Was Thinking Of Just Drilling A Hole Through The Subfloor With A Self Tapping Screw.

NfiniteMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
You should have more surface area. That’s like just my opinion man. Drill a hole, route to the chassis, sand to bear metal and install a big fat bolt

Bear metal hehehehehehe
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:10 PM   #3
Bus Geek

I guess I should ask what’s it for?
Old 02-27-2020, 07:16 AM   #4
Bus Geek

For anything expensive, important, or high current

I run the same gauge wires in a pair to complete the full return circuit back to the power source.

I only trust chassis common for returns on cheap, unimportant and low current loads.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by NfiniteMile View Post
Is It Ok To Ground Wires To ANY Metal Surface Of The Bus Or Does It HAVE To Be The Chassis? I Was Thinking Of Just Drilling A Hole Through The Subfloor With A Self Tapping Screw.
AC electric or dc electric?

What are you powering and how many watts does it consume?
Old 02-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Can I get your rationale on this?

Quote:
I only trust chassis common for returns on cheap, unimportant and low current loads.
Now I don't do any direct chassis common connections on my subpanels- in all those places I've ran two wire DC. But I do have my main negative bus bar connected to chassis.

I have AC ground to chassis (for GFI protection), 24V solar negative to chassis, and bus bank negative to chassis. Most of the electrical noise seems to come from 12v appliances on the main DC fuse panel (and its in no short supply- I had to switch to a digital audio amplifier).
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I'm not talking about **also** tying the negative return busses etc into chassis common as a reference in multiple locations, that's fine.

Just not relying on chassis paths **as** the negative return for critical circuits
Old 02-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Quote:

I run the same gauge wires in a pair to complete the full return circuit back to the power source.

I have done it this way too, but it is important to note that return trip distance should be used when calculating wire size.

If its 20' from the panel to the appliance, then use 40' on the chart to get the proper wire size for the anticipated amp draw. This is how its done in the marine world as chassis grounds aren't an option. They also have excellent insulated 2 conductor stranded cables as well.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:33 PM   #9
Bus Geek

When I replied I was thinking battery bank because I got that on the brain.

I’m pretty sure it’s common practice to run grounds back to a main bus to make troubleshooting easier.

Of course if you have really big wires to run you can save some money by using the chassis.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
You just need good connections, I think. This is why I never go from appliance directly to chassis, I go from appliance to a fuse panel with negative, and the fuse panel negative has a beefy cable going to a solid, clean, reliable contact point on either the chassis or cabin. Its much easier to get it right once, the first time.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Between the House bank (or whatever source) and the distribution points is of course most critical and highest current.

And yes wire sizing need actual RT distance.

BSS Circuit Wizard is excellent.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #12
Almost There

Year: 2001
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 71
Anybody willing or able to post some pictures of how their ground to chassis looks or is set up? I’m pretty sure I get it, but That’d be really helpful for us visual learners out there.
rydawg3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:36 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I've got a 2 AWG battery cable bolted to one of the bolt holes for the chair rail.. Easy peasy.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy View Post
I have done it this way too, but it is important to note that return trip distance should be used when calculating wire size.

If its 20' from the panel to the appliance, then use 40' on the chart to get the proper wire size for the anticipated amp draw. This is how its done in the marine world as chassis grounds aren't an option. They also have excellent insulated 2 conductor stranded cables as well.
What chart are you referring to?
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Chart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy View Post

What chart are you referring to?
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:21 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Best to use Blue Sea Circuit Wizard app.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:55 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydawg3000 View Post
Anybody willing or able to post some pictures of how their ground to chassis looks or is set up? I’m pretty sure I get it, but That’d be really helpful for us visual learners out there.
Here is the only shot I have of the grounding wires. Trace the bright green wire to the left and you will see the grounding lugs used to ground everything to the chassis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181107_170704 DC Wiring - Underside.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	42105
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #18
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Here is the only shot I have of the grounding wires. Trace the bright green wire to the left and you will see the grounding lugs used to ground everything to the chassis.

Attachment 42105
Thanks a lot, that is very helpful indeed. Is the green wire the ground from your AC panel's Ground Bar Terminal? What are the other connections you have grounded there? Looks like the ground connections for all of our 12v things coming from the bus batteries and engine.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:00 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydawg3000 View Post
Thanks a lot, that is very helpful indeed. Is the green wire the ground from your AC panel's Ground Bar Terminal? What are the other connections you have grounded there? Looks like the ground connections for all of our 12v things coming from the bus batteries and engine.
The wire bundle at the top are positive cables and the ones that swing lower are negative cables.. All are DC.

The green wire is the ground for the inverter/charger. The AC load panel is grounded a another location, actually to the body. In the same bundle as the green wire is a black wire about the same size as the green wire and below the green wire, this is the ground for a DC panel I added for the house side.

I ran parallel 2/0 wires for both the positive and negative between the inverter (up in the cab) as well as parallel 2/0 runs for the house batteries from the second alternator and between the house batteries in the battery box. I also ran parallel 2/0 cable between the batteries in the chassis bank as well. I figured it was easier to run two 2/0 cables than one 4/0 cable ... and the parallel 2/0 combine to act as one 5/0 cable electrically. I left the 2/0 run from the chassis alternator to the chassis battery bank as-is because it was doing what it is designed to do.

So, it looks like there is a lot more going on with that picture than it really is.

Here is what is happening on the other side of that picture (in the battery box):
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181029_152113 Batteries in New Tray.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	43427
That "thing" in the middle is the battery isolation relay.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:53 AM   #20
Almost There

Awesome! Thanks a lot, that really helped clear the dust for me. Now I realize I’m looking at the outside of the steps in the background!
Our power hub for the house will be in the rear of the bus and I have a joint Ac/Dc distribution panel so I think my only ground needed to run is from inside from the ground bus bar at the panel to the chassis at the moment.

We will only be wired up for shore/generator power for the meantime, adding battery bank and solar after we move in. I imagine at that phase I will probably have something else that will need to run through the floor to the chassis for grounding but we will leave space and address that when the day comes!

Also, mad kudos for making clean, even lengths in your beefy cables.