Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
Hangin the mini-split over head

I'm looking at the option of hanging my 80 pound mini-split compressor above the rear door on my 28 foot Bluebird. Appears to be just enough room up there. It will require the removal of my clearance lights.

Any opinions on this idea?

Am confident a simple bracket will hold the 80 pounds. Pioneer sells a wall mount bracket for their mini-splits. I'll need something a bit more robust.

How wacko will it look? Will I be banned from Skoolie gatherings?

or

mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Welcome to the looney bin!
On the face of it, it sounds like a definite maybe. Check with the DPS to find if you'll be legal yanking those running lights.
You might, best case scenario, fail your inspection, for their lack...
When you have a minute, fill out your profile, so potential helpers don't have to ask, or root around, for your specific particulars. [emoji111]
Old 05-13-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
read and heed the documentation on the compressor being above the evaporator.. you will need at least one oil-trap-loop (a U-bend) in your lines if the condensor is above the evaporator
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:31 PM   #4
Skoolie

Good catch Callidilackid. I now remember reading that warning in the manual.

By my guess-ti-mation; the compressor will be level or maybe slightly elevated. I prefer the unit sat on a rear deck. Building the rear deck is going to be a lot more involved than a pair of hanging brackets.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:41 PM   #5
Skoolie

Sir Haz.matt

Am not trying to offend with my lack of profile details, rather, I will admit there just isn't anything else to say or post about me. I'm not a social or digital butterfly. This forum is as "out there" as I get.

Thanks for your encouragement tho.

Cheers
Mike
Old 05-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #6
Bus Geek

also heed the distance requirements for the clearances.. the units need airflow... I would also try and keep it below roof level .. the coils in minisplits are made out of very thin copper and aluminum pipes / fins..(I have a couple minisplits in pieces in my basement HVAC lab if. anyone wants pics of the guts..) low tree branches will shred the back of one of those.. and you definitely want it facing with the fan out the back...

-Christopher
Old 05-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Howdy Mike,
"Sir?!! You must have me confused with someone else.
The closest that I come to being regal is my tendency to be a royal PITA...
"Your Misguided Muppetness," will do just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpincher View Post
Sir Haz.matt

Am not trying to offend with my lack of profile details, rather, I will admit there just isn't anything else to say or post about me. I'm not a social or digital butterfly. This forum is as "out there" as I get.

Thanks for your encouragement tho.

Cheers
Mike
No offense to nobody, no way, no how! Nuh-uh.
Somebody would eventually ask that you to fill out your rig's particular particulars (which you've done. Skoolie Star for you, young fella).
Feel free to keep the passion for moonlit beach walks, pina coladas, good books, pet Gila monster, third nipple, abiding affection for gorgonzola, and whatever other personal details you care not to share, unshared.

[emoji111]Out,
Matteo
Old 05-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
I'm looking at the option of hanging my 80 pound mini-split compressor above the rear door on my 28 foot Bluebird. Appears to be just enough room up there. It will require the removal of my clearance lights.

Any opinions on this idea?

Am confident a simple bracket will hold the 80 pounds. Pioneer sells a wall mount bracket for their mini-splits. I'll need something a bit more robust.

How wacko will it look? Will I be banned from Skoolie gatherings?

or

Gilligan phantom tried this. Others too I think. It works generally but is ugly. Gotta make sure your bracket it sturdy.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:23 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
1. Clearance lights are a federal requirement. If they are missing or do not work, you will get pulled over.

2. On a moving vehicle, especially on the back of a FE school bus, you'll need brackets able to withstand dynamic loads well over the static weight. I use a factor of 3 for everything I make, i.e. if I want to support a water tank weighing half a ton I build its mounts sturdy enough for at least one and a half tons of dynamic loads. You also need to think about exactly where it will be mounted - does International have strong enough structural body ribs there? (The answer may well be No!) And one more thing: you're not only supporting it against downward loads, but also against any movement in all six possible axes (up, down, fore, aft, left, right).

Whatever you do needs to be engineered, not just slapped together with some old angle iron and whatever old bolts you have lying around. If that thing falls off and causes an accident, guess who's liable?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Physics is a cruel mistress.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
Gilligan phantom tried this. Others too I think. It works generally but is ugly. Gotta make sure your bracket it sturdy.

I like your way of putting them underneath the bus and putting screens around the coils to protect against flying stones.. yours seem to work well underneath for all but driving A/C.. (which we have all hashed over and over that a mini split is an awesome parked A/C but not enough for road air)..
Old 05-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #12
Skoolie

Ideas - Thanks

Appreciate the ideas.

I'm crossing the overhead idea off the list for a couple reasons. Ugliness, hard to service, risk backing into trees or other.

It now appears I'm going to investigate placing the unit under the drivers side skirt, in front of the rear tire. I hate the thought of placing things near the recap tires. I've seen these tires fly apart and recently I was on I-40 next to a FedEx truck when his rear tire blew. Scared the bejezus out of me, nearly lost it on the motorcycle.

Airconditioning is what brought me to a skoolie in the first place. Can be no compromises in cooling. After 40 years of camping in a tent, I'm tired of panting in the heat like old dog. Thanks everyone.

MIke
Old 05-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I like your way of putting them underneath the bus and putting screens around the coils to protect against flying stones.. yours seem to work well underneath for all but driving A/C.. (which we have all hashed over and over that a mini split is an awesome parked A/C but not enough for road air)..

It took some work to get them in there, but it has proven to be quite good. One of the parts of the build I am proud of for sure.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:41 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Appreciate the ideas.

I'm crossing the overhead idea off the list for a couple reasons. Ugliness, hard to service, risk backing into trees or other.

It now appears I'm going to investigate placing the unit under the drivers side skirt, in front of the rear tire. I hate the thought of placing things near the recap tires. I've seen these tires fly apart and recently I was on I-40 next to a FedEx truck when his rear tire blew. Scared the bejezus out of me, nearly lost it on the motorcycle.

Airconditioning is what brought me to a skoolie in the first place. Can be no compromises in cooling. After 40 years of camping in a tent, I'm tired of panting in the heat like old dog. Thanks everyone.

MIke

I think that’s a pretty good way to do it. If you look up my build thread you may find a few useful things.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Remember that little mini split will do very little to keep you cool driving.. standard built school busses have 120,000 btu of road air.. you can get away with half of that if you have an insulated bus..
Old 05-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #16
Skoolie

Yes, I took that advice and kept one of the onboard air conditioners that came installed with the bus.