Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
harbor freight generator?

Does anyone have a Harbor Freight generator, the 4000 watt "Predator" ? Do you like it, will it run one a/c unit, 13,500 BTU rooftop? At 4000 watts it should do that easily. I am mostly looking for a generator for recharge batteries on days without enough sun for solar, and sometimes to run a/c if shore power is not available. Just a bit cautious about a generator from Harbor Freight.

Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:36 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Does anyone have a Harbor Freight generator, the 4000 watt "Predator" ? Do you like it, will it run one a/c unit, 13,500 BTU rooftop? At 4000 watts it should do that easily. I am mostly looking for a generator for recharge batteries on days without enough sun for solar, and sometimes to run a/c if shore power is not available. Just a bit cautious about a generator from Harbor Freight.
It's the old story. You get what you pay for. HF stuff is cheap. If it breaks, getting parts is iffy at best. I have the little 2 cycle one and it has served me well with only a couple problems. Eventually I will go with their 8750\7500 electric start unit. If you don't leave it sit with fuel in the carb like I did it will probably last you a while. Just know that repair may not be an option when the time comes. I bought the sportsman from Wal-Mart because it was cheap 4000/3250 for $300 will.let you know how it does. Its on it's way. When I get the big one it will be stripped down to generator and engine and mounts then installed in a slide out door for ease of service. No need for frame or tank. Oh the sportsman is dual fuel too. You might consider it
Good luck!
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

I like the idea of duel fuel. Quiet is important though. Yes I would like to know how you like it once it arrives
Old 08-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Ok bought it the harbor frieght 4000. Runs real nice started first pull. Smooth running and will run one rooftop a/c plus charge batteries. So it does what I want.

Noise, can talk near it and be heard, so quiet but not by any means super quiet. Inside the bus with one a/c unit running I can just barely hear it in the bedroom. If I am nearer to the a/c can not hear it at all. So for now it does what I want at a reasonable price. I do have solar panels that should normally cover all my needs except a/c.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Ok bought it the harbor frieght 4000. Runs real nice started first pull. Smooth running and will run one rooftop a/c plus charge batteries. So it does what I want.

Noise, can talk near it and be heard, so quiet but not by any means super quiet. Inside the bus with one a/c unit running I can just barely hear it in the bedroom. If I am nearer to the a/c can not hear it at all. So for now it does what I want at a reasonable price. I do have solar panels that should normally cover all my needs except a/c.
Thanks for the review. I've had my eye on the Predator 2000 for quite a while......just waiting to pull the trigger when I start my interior build.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Thanks for the review. I've had my eye on the Predator 2000 for quite a while......just waiting to pull the trigger when I start my interior build.
We've got the Predator 2000. Its served us well for the 6 months we've been using it. Only disappointments are that it won't run my chop saw or pancake compressor. A workaround for the compressor is to sort of "feather" it....kind of a forced "soft start". I run it very briefly, then shut it off before it overloads the generator. Then I repeat this until if finally kicks in. Seems the oil in the compressor needs to warm up a bit before it takes off. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but it only takes a couple minutes of fiddling with it. I picked up the generator during one of the super-sales events that they have every couple months for like $450. It's fairly quiet when on econo-mode.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
I have a 7000/8750 up for sale. Brand new still in the box. Selling for $450. It came with my bus. It is too big and too heavy. It will power your entire house. It has excellent reviews and a high rating three years in a row. Of all the HF cheap junk. This generator is not one of them. I want to buy a smaller one. I am leaving for Florida tomorrow. I will happily drop it off on my way down?

Celeste
RevyRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
We've got the Predator 2000. Its served us well for the 6 months we've been using it. Only disappointments are that it won't run my chop saw or pancake compressor.
I picked up the generator during one of the super-sales events that they have every couple months for like $450. It's fairly quiet when on econo-mode.
Mine will just be used to charge two house batteries......going to start out with just enough to run the basics (lights, fans, fridge), then expand into solar down the road. Any compressor or welder work will have to wait until there's a handy outlet nearby. And I'm not installing A/C.

Thanks for sharing your experience with it.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Mine will just be used to charge two house batteries......going to start out with just enough to run the basics (lights, fans, fridge), then expand into solar down the road. Any compressor or welder work will have to wait until there's a handy outlet nearby. And I'm not installing A/C.

Thanks for sharing your experience with it.
Sure thing, man. The Predator2000 is perfect for what you're planning. It works great for anything not drawing a heavy startup load. We haven't really had to use it much since we got the solar installed but it tucks away in the luggage bay right under the shore power plug. It's not too big and fairly light so it's easy enough to move around.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

I think the predator 2000 is one of the really quiet ones something like 60 decibels. The 4000 is 70 decibels. Actually was thinking of a small welder and other tools when I bought mine.