Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
There seems to be no way to just flash the high beams (the lever won't push forward). Sounds like maybe just the switch on your lever is broken.
Yes, there is a way to flash the high beams! I just made my own flasher on the end of the turn signal stalk. Instead of the original black plastic ball screwed onto the threaded end of the 1/4" stalk, I use a small round Momentary-On push switch that fits into a length of 1/2" aluminum tube. This tube is centered on the original 1/4" stalk with some vinyl tubing that is slit lengthwise for the switch's wire to pass through, and I covered the outside with some black heatshrink so it looks original. The switch merely actuates the two high beam relays (there's one for each side because I have 330W of high beam lamps), so it carries only an amp at most. I can now easily flash my high beams without even moving my fingers off the steering wheel, and even in daytime it definitely gets people's attention when I flash them!

John

Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:44 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Just wanted to update this thread now that we know the cause & have resolved the issue.
We replaced the switch assembly (the turn signal actuator on the steering column) with brand new, but the problem persisted. We also tested the relays and they were fine. Ultimately, while going through all the dash wiring, we found the problem: The master light switch (off/park/on) and the harness-side connector it plugs into were heat damaged / partially melted from a hack wiring job. After buying a new switch, & wiring in a new harness-side connector (thanks AAA Bus here in Phx, because you can't just buy that connector), everything works as it should. And how it should work is: Pull back once and let go, brights. Turn back again and let go, low beams.
Attached Thumbnails
KIMG0934.jpg   KIMG0940.jpg  

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote