Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2019, 06:20 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
This is what I am considering.Also plating over hi flashers and removing stock turn signals and removing "BLUEBIRD" from the hood
What kind of headlights are those

chrislind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislind View Post
What kind of headlights are those
Hi Chris Here is the site that I saw them on. Warning prepare for sticker shock https://www.raneystruckparts.com/peterbilt-headlights
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
It amuses me how the term "DOT Approved" is used so frequently, when most of the time the products have not even been tested by any governmental agency. What is usually a more accurate statement is "Certified by the manufacturer to comply with all applicable DOT standards", usually with something cast/printed on the item itself to signify that. It is assumed the manufacturer has done appropriate testing so as to make that certification.
You know, looking at these assemblies it is obvious
that these are not $99 bright lites and the pricepoint being about $600 and are being marketed for replacement lighting on interstate haulers, I am going to believe their claim of DOT compliance. https://www.raneystruckparts.com/pet...with-halo-led/
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:59 PM   #64
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Ya..."sticker shock" is a common ailment for just about anyone shopping LED replacement headlights. The 7" round units I am looking at are about $650 bucks for a pair. Really great light and pattern but...yeoowwch!

Of course I could just go with the old style sealed beams for about $8 bucks apiece...
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #65
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteinSF View Post
I am thinking one of these two might be the best option without blinding others....

Truck-Lite (27450C) Headlamp
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ED7HNY..._0jrrCbXTRGNCV

HELLA 003427811 190 x 132mm Series H4 High/Low Beam
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G72VIK..._ttrrCbHXEJPWB

I think GE sells a version of the first one. The second one has the advantage of being able select the bulb.

Anyone use these?
I have the Truck-Lite's. I'm a pretty big fan of them even if they're not cheap. There are knock off's of them on Amazon too, but I haven't experienced them.
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #66
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Ya..."sticker shock" is a common ailment for just about anyone shopping LED replacement headlights. The 7" round units I am looking at are about $650 bucks for a pair. Really great light and pattern but...yeoowwch!

Of course I could just go with the old style sealed beams for about $8 bucks apiece...
What are you looking at that's $650/pair?
Old 03-17-2019, 09:48 AM   #67
Bus Geek

https://www.amazon.com/Vision-X-Ligh...34256623&psc=1

Pretty trick but...
Old 03-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #68
Almost There

Quote:
Not saying they don't have an interesting look, but what makes them worth 2x the cost of a Truck-Lite 27270C? Is there someplace else with actual reviews?
Old 03-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #69
Bus Geek

I did go thru a number of review sites. Turns out there are a dozen or so "brands" that are all the same generic Chinese units that have a less than stellar record. TruckLites is among them. According to both sites, most are not DOT approved. Some say "meets DOT standards" but not "approved". Big difference. I did go to the TL site and the only lighting I could find that claimed to be "street legal" were some lite bar type units (?). Who knows?

Don't know that I will necessarily go with the VisionX, but I do like their light patterns and the fact that you can combine both the Hi & Lo beams together. Course I did live most of my life with three-dollar sealed beams, so...
Old 03-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #70
Almost There

Quote:
I did go thru a number of review sites. Turns out there are a dozen or so "brands" that are all the same generic Chinese units that have a less than stellar record. TruckLites is among them. According to both sites, most are not DOT approved. Some say "meets DOT standards" but not "approved". Big difference. I did go to the TL site and the only lighting I could find that claimed to be "street legal" were some lite bar type units (?). Who knows?

Don't know that I will necessarily go with the VisionX, but I do like their light patterns and the fact that you can combine both the Hi & Lo beams together. Course I did live most of my life with three-dollar sealed beams, so...
I think perhaps you're confusing the brand names. Truck-Lite is an OEM manufacturer. Rigid Industries are also a sub brand of theirs. The GE LED lights are just rebrands of the Truck-Lites. Also I assume you mean running both high and low bean at the same time? The Truck-Lites I have do that?

This promo video from them talks about it some and why Penske put Truck-Lite on their fleet.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #71
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Prevost
Chassis: H3-45
Engine: Detroit DDEC III
Rated Cap: A LOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
...I simply don't care that my E-Code lights now are technically illegal, because they are so much better for everyone on the road.
Yes, of course they ARE ILLEGAL!

But I have been running E-Code lights for decades in various cars and trucks and I have NEVER had anyone even ask .... certainly not any police or vehicle inspection people.

By the same token, I've made it a habit to keep an open beer with me while driving and I have also NEVER been pulled over for that either.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #72
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdconfsd View Post
I think perhaps you're confusing the brand names. Truck-Lite is an OEM manufacturer. Rigid Industries are also a sub brand of theirs. The GE LED lights are just rebrands of the Truck-Lites. Also I assume you mean running both high and low bean at the same time? The Truck-Lites I have do that?

This promo video from them talks about it some and why Penske put Truck-Lite on their fleet.
To follow this up, I looked around a bit more, and found this recent video. If I had 7" round headlights I'd most likely go for the Morimoto Super 7 despite the $500 price tag

Old 12-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #73
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
I just saw these headlights on Amazon for a decent price as LEDs go. And they come with a bunch of stuff. They are Dot approved and look like they might have a good cutoff/focus. Of course there only one way to tell.

Headlight Reflector High/Low Beam LED with Bezel Chrome and Corner Turn Signal Light - Driver and Passenger Side (Fit: International 9400 9200 8100 8200 8300 4900 4700 4800 Trucks)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSUFH4P..._bot.DbCYF57ZB

Let me know if anyone knows anything about these or has an opinion
Gorzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:56 PM   #74
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
led headlites suck in snow because they do not get hot enough to keep snow and ice off them. got them on my freightliner love them when its dry but even in rain they are not as good as the old halogens
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:05 AM   #75
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
I was driving across western Kansas on US 54 late at night a few weeks ago in my newly acquired bus. It is the kind of place that really tests headlights. It’s dark, it’s desolate and it’s a 2 Lane Highway with limited shoulders, so you really need to be able to see what’s going on. My impression was that whatever headlights I have, were pretty in adequate to the task of lighting the way, especially in a heavy vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed. I was really impressed with some of the lighting I saw on trucks I crossed paths with. They seem to have a combination of really good headlights with auxiliary driving lights. It looked LED lighting to me and seem to be well focused with a really good throw. And I was not blinded as I met them. I’d love to duplicate that kind of set up on my bus.
wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:17 AM   #76
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
I want some sort of insane, nuclear blast level brightness auxiliary headlights.
I'm the kind of guy who's never had a need for any additional headlights and I honestly prefer the dull warm glow of incandescents. But the last several years I find myself having a hard time driving at night due to the increasingly bright and horrid lights folks are putting on their vehicles. I'd like some 10,000,000,000 power blinders to hit back at em.
I've got some KC style lights facing rearward on my truck with a toggle switch where the radio would be. I've used those on tailgaters with bright lights late at night.
Sucks that lighting has become so "weaponized" but I'm getting tired of being assaulted by the lights of other drivers. It almost seems like its a dick measuring contest to see who can make their headlights as offensive as possible. Lifted diesel trucks with those damn led bars are the worst. Then its the ricer crowd.
End rant lol
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:03 AM   #77
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
ECB , same feeling here.
Even the later HID lights are to bright for oncoming traffic mot to speak of the led brake light. The red burns into your eyes if your behind someone at a traffic light. It is the same with the size of the vehicle itself. Bigger is safer , yes for you but not for the other. Lights have gone the same way, yes you can see better but everyone is blinded.
i remember years ago there were discussion about white light versus yellow head lights that were better during fog. The yellow was also more pleasant for the opposite traffic.

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #78
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
The city and county have been replacing the HPS street lights with insanely bright white LED's. No one is happy about it. There's no more darkness, no more night time. My whole yard is illuminated all night and I think its even affecting my sleep pattern.

I think we need some limits on public use of certain levels of bright light. Light pollution affects lots more than folks realize.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #79
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
Responsible use of auxiliary driving lights is a real thing. That’s why they can be switched on and off as needed. When you are driving across some of the more desolate places it is great to have the extra capacity.
wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #80
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The city and county have been replacing the HPS street lights with insanely bright white LED's. No one is happy about it. There's no more darkness, no more night time. My whole yard is illuminated all night and I think its even affecting my sleep pattern.

I think we need some limits on public use of certain levels of bright light. Light pollution affects lots more than folks realize.
Have you considered target practice?