Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Engine: DT360 Diesel
Heating/Cooling 1990 International with a DT360 Diesel Engine

I recently bought a BUS and as winter is close, planning to HEAT/COOL it so i'm looking for ideas. As a note I am planning to make this NEW RV quality.

So my questions are listed below.

1. What type of heat/cool unit is best??
--I am looking at a Penguin II High Capacity Air Conditioner with a Heat Pump - Polar White Retail at $1327.00 Shipped. I will be using my BUS more in the winter months for snowmobiling.

2. Has anyone hooked one of these type of roof units up, and if so how hard was it?

3. Powering the unit for 24/48hr or a controlled time or as temp lowers in BUS. I will only be taking 2-3 day weekend trips due to work and know it wont be running the full time but I am planning for the worse case.

4. Can I run zoned ( separate ) section like cooling in the bathroom, garage section and add additional vents other locations? Also will that effect the space for walls and flooring? Like how wide are the vent tubes required ?

cschuck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome Chuck,

I have had three travel trailers and one bus with roof air. Two were "ducted" and were not. The two that were ducted were factory installed. The bus was blew directly out of the bottom.

I will never again have factory ducted roof air. It was poorly designed and installed.

The roof air install on the bus was pretty straight forward. I made flat caps that sat on top of the existing emergency ports in the roof and had 14"x14" openings and mounted the roof airs in a normal fashion. Fairly simple process.

The price on the unit you mentioned is a bit high. You may want to look at mini-split's before you make your final decision.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Engine: DT360 Diesel
Great, I'm thinking ducted roof air will work best, what size ducted was used and how can I control the flow of air to all section ?? Like if the heater/cool unit is in the middle of the bus will vents toward the back get less air flow or can that be controlled ???
cschuck3 is offline   Reply With Quote