Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2022, 05:46 AM   #1

Cool HELP 2009 Ford 450 Just Stopped Dead

Hey Peeps,

My second "long" run and I was maybe 20 minutes in after filling the tank and everything completely shut off. Oil light was on so added oil (man that stick is hard to read) that did not help. Engine light is on but no clicking sounds just will not start. Thinking electrical and fuse any suggestions on where to start before I call in the calvary?

Gutzee Moves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:40 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
Gasoline or Diesel?
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:47 AM   #3

It is a diesel engine
Old 08-08-2022, 12:15 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
oil light was on while driving or after it shut off?

if the alternator gave up then it couldve been running on the battery which would then go flat and shut you down. do you have ANY lights in the bus that work? headlights? interior lights etc? if everything is dead, id look to the battery or the battery connections on the battery itself, and also the frame ground (where neg big wire goes) and positive wire.. likely a stud on the starter.. if some lights work but are dim, charge the battery and see if it starts.. if it does then check the alternator to make sure its working correctly.. (a digital meter is really a priceless tool to have when something like this happens.. you can measure voltages and such.. but otherwise we are shotting blind..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:50 PM   #5

It started up for the tow driver of course but I towed it to have it checked just in case.

We think the oil light came on while driving - we didn't notice it until we stopped.

All the lights were working on the bus.

They will look at it tomorrow and I will post what if anything, they find. Appreciate all your input and assistance.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:58 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
driving with the oil light on even for just a few minutes can spell disaster for a diesel engine and / or its turbo.. esp a 6.4, the journals on those were tight already..
hope for the best! maybe the computer shut the engine down when it saw low oil pressure for awhile.. the fact it started for the tow driver is a great sign that the engine didnt seize up
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote