Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2019, 03:34 PM   #1

Angry HELP! all of a sudden my bus won't start 😖

So, I just recently purchased a bus, it's a 2002 Chevy girardin minibus, and I drove it from Long island to where I live up in the north country of New York, about four and a half hours away. everything was fine when I was driving it it ran fine will it was down there and I hadn't had an issue with it at all.

When I got home I started tinkering with the things that I needed to do to get it into shape for living in. I took the seats out that went great I'm starting to put in flooring that's going well, but my sister's husband and I were looking at taking off the stop sign and in the process he snipped to wires that go to the stop signs lights.

After he snipped these wires the bus won't start. We put the wires back together the bus won't start. I charged the battery still nothing. I tried jumping the battery still nothing. we looked around underneath to see if I could find an Interlock system that was put in aftermarket but I can't find anything. mind you I am not one to work with electrical things, carpentry and woodworking I am your girl but with electrical I don't know much about it.

honestly if we could just reset the system to make it so that it runs I don't mind if the Interlock system is in place I don't mind if we have the stop sign on I just really need the bus to run right now.

Sadiemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
You broke the interlock circuit. Been done and explained on here many times. Trace it back to where it goes and bypass it.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Are your emergency exits closed? Locked?

Are you sure you got everything reconnected?

It definitely sounds like and interlock problem.

When I did my Bluebird, I called the Bluebird dealer and got directions to remove the system before I started cutting wires. And just to be safe, I cut one wire then made sure the bus would start. Then cut another and make sure that the bus still starts and so on.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Typically, I'd be welcoming you to the asylum, but it sounds like you're well on the way to going crazy!
Good call! Whenever possible, blame the bro-in-law..!
From your description, it sounds like either one or some of the snipped wires weren't completely reattached, similar looking wires were attached incorrectly [(ie, to another similar looker)(in which case, break out your junior CSI NY forensics kit and compare lengths and bends to intuit any misconnected wires)], or, in the process of lobotomizing the stop sign a short circuit blew a fuse. Fuses may reside in up to several different locales, BTW.
If that was all the electro/mechanical deconstructive work performed, then that most likely is where the fault lies.
One last thing that often trips folx up at the outset of Skoolie arcana: confirm that the escape hatch, emergency windows, and doors are all closed and latched...
Old 06-08-2019, 04:06 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
One detail....

Many of them have locks on the emergency exits.

If the exit is unlatched the bus won't start.

If the exit is latched AND locked the bus won't start.

If the exits are latched but not locked the bus will start.

This prevents driving with the key lock locked. Kiddies need to be able to get out in an emergency.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Try it in Neutral.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
You broke the interlock circuit. Been done and explained on here many times. Trace it back to where it goes and bypass it.
I've tried tracing it back and can't find it anywhere. I've followed every post on here trying to as well as multiple videos and contacting the bus manufacturer. I can't find it
Old 06-08-2019, 05:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Are your emergency exits closed? Locked?

Are you sure you got everything reconnected?

It definitely sounds like and interlock problem.

When I did my Bluebird, I called the Bluebird dealer and got directions to remove the system before I started cutting wires. And just to be safe, I cut one wire then made sure the bus would start. Then cut another and make sure that the bus still starts and so on.
I don't think I can lock the back door. If I can I'm not sure how. Someone before me has put a piece of plastic in between the metal on the handle and the metal in the latch (breaking the circuit) and it worked fine like that, I just found that out when I was searching for the answer to the problem.

This wire that we cut was the first wire then tried to start it and it wouldn't start even after we reconnected it.
We double triple checked that everything was reconnected
Old 06-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Try it in Neutral.
Tried it. No dice. Also tried it with parking brake on. Still no
Old 06-08-2019, 08:11 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Have you tried bridging the starter relay or starter solenoid terminals? If you need it running immediately that is the easiest way, assuming that it is simply an interlock issue.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:50 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
It’s a Chevy Express? Does it crank?

Check all your fuses very carefully. You might luck out there.

See if you can get info from the bus manufacturer.

20 bucks will get you 3 days of online access to factory shop manuals that include checklists for troubleshooting no crank/no start conditions. The added complexity of the bus circuits makes it extra difficult, but it might tell you what system is causing the problem.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Just be certain, first:
Outta gear, parking brake on.
No point in throwing yourself under a bus...
Old 06-09-2019, 07:59 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Hi there!

First i traced the stop sign wires to the fuse box... pulled the fuse and then started the bus. Happy that it started, i then cut those wires, started the bus again and decided i was good to go... then i removed the stop sign. How lucky was I?
So, even though your wires are already cut, quite possibly the system is picking up on a bad fuse and won't start. pull that fuse now and see what you get. My logic is that the system is picking up on a bad fuse. It doesn't know that the wires are cut because it can't get past the idea of a bad fuse so ultimately it won't start. That may be the thinking behind the interlocking system.
That's all i got.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
Have you tried bridging the starter relay or starter solenoid terminals? If you need it running immediately that is the easiest way, assuming that it is simply an interlock issue.
Tried the starter relay last night, still nothing.
Tried to do the starter solenoid but it's so damn hard to get to where it is in the bus 😭
Old 06-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Is it a Chevy Express?

Do you have a multimeter?

Confirm your battery has a charge. Should be 12.5 volts or so across the terminals.

Check every fuse. It’s a good idea to take pictures of the fuse blocks before you start.

Do you have 12 volts at the starter primary wire?

When you turn the key, do you hear the relay click? You will probably need help when you do this.

Connect test leads to the starter solenoid and a good ground. Try to start. Do you get voltage?

When you tried to jump the relay, what pins did you jump? Do you have a diagram on the relay?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, interlock, mini bird, minibus