Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2020, 06:07 AM   #1

help me with a brand new electrical system?!

Hello brand new on site so I know this will probable be asked a lot. Just looking for suggestions on a battery system for my first new bus. I’m living in Scotland so I don’t see solar power being a benefit to me as the weather is often terrible. But I have zero clue on best system set up. Water heater, batteries invertors scramble my brain. Want the best possible system not bothered on price so I can start living my Skoolie life! do batteries get charged via engine power? Plugged into shore power? Am i best getting a propane water heater? Or can someone’s point me into the direction on a forum tht has this info? Thanks peoples peace x

julieminto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:27 AM   #2
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
Julieminto, !st off, welcome. There's the most common way to charge batteries and that's solar. You can do wind turbines, but that's something you have to work into the design of the bus. Eventually I will have both on mine. My turbine will be on a pivoting arm. The turbine part being a squirrel cage. When laying horizontal, it will be sitting just above the rear roof line to catch the air rolling across the roof as I drive down the road. Pivoted up vertically when parked, will catch any wind/breeze. Other ways you can charge batteries would be any device that runs off of shore or generator power, converting that power down to what ever your battery size is. Hope this helps. No doubt you'll have plenty of good input from other members here.
jimburke77502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
I would suggest building a system one component at a time, starting with batteries independent of the chassis / engine that charge via solar. Once that is in place, you can add capabilities like charging from the engine/shore power after. Roll out the electrical in phases- and in my opinion, that's DC / Solar first, so that you have a good understanding of all of the components.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote