Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Help switching sources

Hey everyone! I wanted to first thank everyone here for their time and efforts in sharing information to get people into their own conversion. I am not an electrician (as the rest of my post will illuminate), but I've been reading a ton and am getting a better handle on electrical systems.

My question is about manual source switching without breaking the bank. My vision is a 4PDT switch that I can select between shore and inverter power for my 120v system. This may be crazy talk, but I'm looking to run everything 120v (exception maybe water pump). Searching, I can't find a switch with a high enough rating, so I am probably barking up the wrong tree. Someone posted a picture somewhere with a lightswitch that seemed to be doing something similar to what I want, but I don't see those rated high enough either! I'll attach a simple diagram with what I'm trying to accomplish

Edit: looking a little further, I found some 4 pole double throw safety switches in an appropriate rating on ebay, those look like they'd do the trick? the price is right, anyway.

czoesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
A charger/inverter will do it automatically. It will charge batteries when plugged in to shore power or using generator.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
A charger/inverter will do it automatically. It will charge batteries when plugged in to shore power or using generator.
I agree, that may be the simplest method and might be what I ultimately go with. Money is just a limited resource and I want to do things inexpensively without killing myself. A separate converter/smart charger + inverter is substantially cheaper. Thanks for your response, though!
Old 07-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I don't know your budget but here is a $187 automatic transfer switch: https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-TS-5.../dp/B00153EYU8
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

just spend the few extra bucks for an automatic switch over switch. will make things incredibly easier... the last two busses i converted, I found the auto switch at big discount...
Old 07-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I agree that a transfer switch is the way to go. However; if 'breaking the bank' is a serious issues, you could accomplish the same with a "manual switch." That is, you install a socket and manually change the plug from one to the other as needed.

I'm happy with this 50 amp switch but there are lots of options.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
I agree that a transfer switch is the way to go. However; if 'breaking the bank' is a serious issues, you could accomplish the same with a "manual switch." That is, you install a socket and manually change the plug from one to the other as needed.
That's exactly what I've done. My three AC sources (shore, generator and inverter) each feed a 30A RV-style receptacle, and my AC breaker panel's pigtail lead with a 30A plug will plug into whichever one of them is supplying power. The inverter has a built-in 100A charger, so that plugs into either the shore or generator receptacles with a pigtail lead that's not long enough to reach the inverter's own AC receptacle. Simple, completely foolproof, absolutely nothing to go wrong, cheap (everything's available from Home Despot for a few bucks) - what's not to like?

Automatic transfer switches can fail in one of two ways - open (so nothing works), or closed (so more than input is connected simultaneously). The former is an inconvenience; the latter will at least destroy expensive generators or inverters, or even burn your bus. I think that Blue Sea has a manual rotary transfer switch that may avoid these potential issues, but anything made for boats won't be cheap!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
That's exactly what I've done. My three AC sources (shore, generator and inverter) each feed a 30A RV-style receptacle, and my AC breaker panel's pigtail lead with a 30A plug will plug into whichever one of them is supplying power. The inverter has a built-in 100A charger, so that plugs into either the shore or generator receptacles with a pigtail lead that's not long enough to reach the inverter's own AC receptacle. Simple, completely foolproof, absolutely nothing to go wrong, cheap (everything's available from Home Despot for a few bucks) - what's not to like?

Automatic transfer switches can fail in one of two ways - open (so nothing works), or closed (so more than input is connected simultaneously). The former is an inconvenience; the latter will at least destroy expensive generators or inverters, or even burn your bus. I think that Blue Sea has a manual rotary transfer switch that may avoid these potential issues, but anything made for boats won't be cheap!

John
The last one I installed used a single DPDT relay and I can see how it could fail "open" but there is no way that I can imagine that it could connect two sources at the same time. May be that some use a pair of single throw relays that could do that but I have not (yet) encountered one.

I have only seen a couple that have failed and they failed stuck on a single source.

I don't think that reliability is a big issue when it comes to automatic transfer switches.

Just my $0.02

Edit: One of my (4) RV's uses the "receptacle" method of switching power sources and it is as reliable as you can get. It is a bit of a pain when I have to go outside in my jammers to move the plug so that I can make my morning coffee.

In my world, morning does NOT occur without coffee.......

Oxygen and coffee..... Required to sustain life....
Old 07-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Still manual, but does anyone have experience with breaker interlocks? A 50amp 2 pole breaker is under $10 and simplifies wiring a little.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by czoesq View Post
Still manual, but does anyone have experience with breaker interlocks? A 50amp 2 pole breaker is under $10 and simplifies wiring a little.
I have not. I did look them up and the ones that I found cost as much or more than an auto transfer switch.