Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #1

Smile Help with 12 volt wiring and systems

I have a 3/4-length schoolie that I have been working on for the last year+. I am making good progress but am slowed with my day job and not very skilled at soldering the 12 volt system. Is there anyone out there in the schoolie world and near DC who would like some side money to help wire lights, outlets, and appliances? Extra credit for someone who could advise and help install a solar panels (interverter/charger and solar controller already in-place), security and stereo.

DCbusfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCbusfam View Post
I have a 3/4-length schoolie that I have been working on for the last year+. I am making good progress but am slowed with my day job and not very skilled at soldering the 12 volt system. Is there anyone out there in the schoolie world and near DC who would like some side money to help wire lights, outlets, and appliances? Extra credit for someone who could advise and help install a solar panels (interverter/charger and solar controller already in-place), security and stereo.
I also have a day job, but just curious, where in the DC area are you? I am in SOMD, zip 20637...
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Good on you for seeking assistance. Bump to that end.

One question, however. Exactly what do you mean by 'soldering'? What are you soldering or wishing to solder, & why?

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #4

DC proper - 20001
Old 11-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #5

I have been soldering all 12-volt wiring based on the advice of the person who developed the electrical diagram. His thought was that the various butt connector joiners are easier to install but that soldering is stronger and provides better conduction.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Rated Cap: 76
I'll just focus in on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCbusfam View Post
the various butt connector joiners are easier to install but that soldering is stronger and provides better conduction.

Sure, its a better electrical connection, but given the connectors are rated for the voltage/current I'm not sure its really of any tangible benefit. Personally given the choice I'd invest more in organization and safety- switches, (sub)panels with fuses, DC breakers, cable management, etc.

Having the ability to disconnect some things could be a good feature of a well organized system. Could be a safety feature even. Could be a detriment. What I wouldn't do, is apply one-is-better-than-another broadly without consideration. For one I wonder where soldering is deemed to be necessary and what the rationale is.

Hope you find the help you're looking for.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:58 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I love this site. So many questions come up that I assume I know the answer for, but then I think, well maybe I don’t entirely. Here’s a YouTube video.

Oh, for some reason I’ve always preferred to solder a splice and use cold connections for terminal ends. Maybe I’m not too far off.

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
For what its worth, I have had good experience using these, although I usually still cover them with heat shrink.

And these are my favorites, Posi-Locks and Posi-Taps. They are super easy to use, very secure, and reusable, but they are not free... And I am still in zip code 20637.
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I love this site. So many questions come up that I assume I know the answer for, but then I think, well maybe I don’t entirely. Here’s a YouTube video.

Oh, for some reason I’ve always preferred to solder a splice and use cold connections for terminal ends. Maybe I’m not too far off.

That's an EXCELLENT video. Guy hits every relevant point, provides great explanation, & speaks truth. Great find.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, electrical