Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2017, 10:37 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat 3126 electric
Rated Cap: 28,000
Help with main breaker

So before it's said I've searched the subject asked at the hardware store with no luck. So can someone just give me links or tell me where I can find a 30 amp main breaker box? Also whatever I need to switch from shore power to my inverter powered by my battery bank. I have everything wired up to the point of hooking it up to the breaker. Thanks for the help Guys

Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
"Main breaker load center" is what's likely to be written on the box, but any sales person worth their salt in a store that sells electrical supplies should recognize "breaker box." You're not likely to find one rated at 30 amps because that's quite low. A higher-rated box will work fine (60, 70, 100, 125 are common).

The simplest transfer switch is a male cord end. Plug it to shore power, plug it to the inverter, plug it to a generator, etc. You'll want to read up on ground-neutral bonding, too. In a nutshell: ground and neutral should be kept separate from each other when you're on shore power; they should be connected together in or near the inverter or generator when you're on self-produced power.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:23 AM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
"Main breaker load center" is what's likely to be written on the box, but any sales person worth their salt in a store that sells electrical supplies should recognize "breaker box."

The simplest transfer switch is a male cord end. Plug it to shore power, plug it to the inverter, plug it to a generator, etc.
Get the breakers at same time, too !

That simple transfer system of just using a big plug is worth repeating. It is super simple, cheap, effective. Ultimate KISS.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat 3126 electric
Rated Cap: 28,000
back on this step guys... I'm going to use the plug idea. if i have it understood correctly I'm going to use a male plug coming out the breaker box. what size wire should i use? its an 100amp ge main breaker and i want to use a 30 amp male plug
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
10 ga cord would be the common choice for that. It might be worth looking around for a pre-terminated cord -- a "replacement shore power cord" or something similar. The factory termination and over-molded connector will be more durable than what can be built with a length of cord and an off-the-shelf cord end, and the price may not be much different.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:34 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Get the breakers at same time, too !

That simple transfer system of just using a big plug is worth repeating. It is super simple, cheap, effective. Ultimate KISS.
That's exactly what I've done. I use the 30A RV-style plugs (with the angled flat pins) and receptacles - I can plug into each of the three AC feeds, or I can plug my Magnum inverter's built-in charger only into the Shore and Generator AC feeds (but obviously not into the Inverter itself!) by having its power cord only long enough to reach the first two feeds. That's as idiot-proof as is humanly possible.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
back on this step guys... I'm going to use the plug idea. if i have it understood correctly I'm going to use a male plug coming out the breaker box. what size wire should i use? its an 100amp ge main breaker and i want to use a 30 amp male plug
A 60 or 100 amp load center (breaker box) will be fine for your application. BUT, you don't want a 100 amp main breaker. You will want a 30 amp breaker.

Also, you want to make sure that the ground and neutral terminal blocks are NOT bonded (connected together) in the load center.

Edit: Sometimes I really hate auto correct.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote