Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2022, 09:44 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

help with transfers switch

i've been learning about setting up the solar power, so im understanding more and more. I need help with figuring out where to put a manual transfer switch for off-shore power. i was hoping somebody could make me a mock up diagram showing how the wires should be connected.

im putting in 2 200w solar panels, 2000w inverter, 12v fuse panel, and dc fuse box with dedicated breakers for the appliances that'll need them. probably going with 3 100ah lithium batteries. this will be tweaked later, right now just need to get everything set up. but i wanna know where in this wiring would i put a manual transfer switch, to switch over everything from solar to off-shore power. do i connect the wires from the solar charger and offshore to the switch, then to the bus bars?

pictures really help with seeing how this works. so even if somebody takes 2mins to draw a preschool level drawing just showing where it goes, thatd be awesome and greatly appreciated.

rumplef0resk1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:27 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
lots of questions here...

generally, you power 12v stuff from a shore connection via a converter. when you have solar, you need for a converter diminishes greatly.

what 120v are you trying to power from shore?

if your 120v panel is fed by the inverter, then you'd install a transfer switch right before the panel, with the other feed for the transfer going to your shore connection.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:20 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
generally, you power 12v stuff from a shore connection via a converter. when you have solar, you need for a converter diminishes greatly.
thanks for pointing that out, didn't even think of that.

Quote:
what 120v are you trying to power from shore?
kind of just as needed things. for right now, its an AC till we can afford a 12v one. same with fridge. everything else is really just having capacity to use 120v. on a tight budget so just trying to get things laid out and working enough to get us where we need to go.

Quote:
if your 120v panel is fed by the inverter, then you'd install a transfer switch right before the panel, with the other feed for the transfer going to your shore connection.
makes sense. but what if i wanted to set it up to have off shore charge the batteries for when solar isn't cutting it. im looking to just have everything either run off solar. then when we're plugged in, everything run from shore power. i cant afford an auto transfer switch right now, really looking to do it with a manual switch.

i feel like im going to have to choose, either off shore to power breaker panel, or to charge the batteries which would (i assume) power everything else. correct?
Old 07-30-2022, 11:25 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

not sure if you purchased your stufff yet, but...

i think thats the difference between an inverter and an inverter/charger. with the inverter only, you may want a converter/charger to help out the 12v.
Old 07-30-2022, 12:49 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
not sure if you purchased your stufff yet, but...

i think thats the difference between an inverter and an inverter/charger. with the inverter only, you may want a converter/charger to help out the 12v.
no i haven't bought much yet. i have the 2 solar panels, and the mppt charger. the bus i bought already had shore power connected but we took most of it down to fix up some things. i want to have everything set up towards the center of the bus, everything was originally in the back. will the batteries still power everything if im using shore power to charge that batteries? like a pass thru? is one easier than the other to pull off? picking whether grid or solar charges vs grid or battery powering everything?
Old 07-30-2022, 02:33 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
If you're planning on using your AC from your battery bank you'll need a few more panels and batteries. Figure out how many watts your AC draws and go from there. Panels don't output their rating in general use and sunshine isn't 12 hours a day. From what you originally described, you'd be lucky to get much over 2 hours of AC per day. You can figure about 85 amps (@12v) per 1000w inverter output (@120v). It's a ballpark figure not using your specific equipment, but it's close enough to work with. You might get 1000w total out of a 200 watt panel per day in ideal conditions, probably less. That changes based on direction, mounting, etc...
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 03:31 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
If you're planning on using your AC from your battery bank you'll need a few more panels and batteries. Figure out how many watts your AC draws and go from there. Panels don't output their rating in general use and sunshine isn't 12 hours a day. From what you originally described, you'd be lucky to get much over 2 hours of AC per day. You can figure about 85 amps (@12v) per 1000w inverter output (@120v). It's a ballpark figure not using your specific equipment, but it's close enough to work with. You might get 1000w total out of a 200 watt panel per day in ideal conditions, probably less. That changes based on direction, mounting, etc...
i appreciate the information. im aware my setup isnt ideal for AC but i mentioned im going with what i have to get by till i can tweak whats needed. i plan on adding dc to dc charging, more solar panels and batteries, etc. but with low funds i dont see that being a possibility at this moment.

what im looking for is help with where and how to install a manual transfer switch thatd let me switch between powering appliances (12v and 120v) between off-shore power and solar battery. maybe im not explaining it right? i am still really new to this and dont mean anything to come off in the wrong way. id really like to know how to power everything from off shore while still switching to solar power so i can use whats needed while not plugged into the grid. so if we stop to sleep, still have lights, a mini fan, charge our phones, etc. but once plugged in, not have to worry about battery life.

is it still possible to have off shore power, powering my appliances while also charging the batteries? what im understanding is i have to choose either to pick solar and off shore to charge, or solar battery and off shore to power. wondering if i can have solar and offshore to charge and simultaneously charging the batteries. all just from having a manual transfer switch, if its even needed?
Old 07-30-2022, 04:31 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We've got an inverter/charger with an automatic transfer switch. I bought this all-in-one unit for the sake of simplicity. When ARE plugged into shore power the batteries are getting charged and the appliances are being powered by the AC coming in from the campground pedestal. The batteries aren't being drawn down, as the inverter is being bypassed.
When we're NOT plugged in to the campground pedestal the inverter is drawing from the battery bank and supplying power to our 120v appliances (fridge, outlets and whatnot).
Once we plug in again, the Automatic Transfer Switch shuts down the inverter and uses the shore power to run the appliances. If we pull the plug out of the pedestal, the ATS switches back to inverter mode.
The MPPT charge controller is just pushing electricity into the batteries from the solar panels.
You can get an Inverter, Charger and Transfer switch as separate units or as an all-in-one unit, the drawback to the all-in-one being that if one component fails you kinda lose the whole shebang. It is pretty plug-and-play though.
I got a lot of my education from reading through this vanlife build page https://faroutride.com/electrical-system/
Old 07-30-2022, 07:35 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
We've got an inverter/charger with an automatic transfer switch.
i looked into doing this, but is the power to appliances limited by the inverter? or does shore power kinda pass thru? so lets say its 1000w inverter charger. am i still limited to the 1000w if im plugged into shore, or is it only if im running off battery?

id really like to try and figure out how to wire it with the manual transfer switch. i just like the idea of having everything laid out, i did everything so i can fix it. kinda set it up how i want. id hate to have the all in one crap out and the whole system is down rather than rewire some stuff and can get something to work.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:15 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumplef0resk1n View Post
i've been learning about setting up the solar power, so im understanding more and more. I need help with figuring out where to put a manual transfer switch for off-shore power. i was hoping somebody could make me a mock up diagram showing how the wires should be connected.
[Truncated Text]
pictures really help with seeing how this works. so even if somebody takes 2mins to draw a preschool level drawing just showing where it goes, thatd be awesome and greatly appreciated.
Please post photos of what you have completed.

There is a fine line between helping eachother electrify our appliances vs aiding new members to electrocute a shoeless occupant (kids & pets <100lbs).

Can we see some photos of your 120v connections?
Do you have load requirements we could review together?
Grounding & Bonding schematic...?

Tripping breaker is serious.
Overload, overcurrent, thermal or faults - gnd/arc.... Where is the breaker?...Sub Pnl on the bus, Service Main, Pedestal... Panel photos?

We can probably walk you through a simple & safe installation.

Take a moment to upload pictures, drawings, etc. Help us to help you. Posting too many is better than too few.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 06:39 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Please post photos of what you have completed.

Can we see some photos of your 120v connections?