Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2020, 01:59 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2002
Engine: Cummins 8.3 ISC 300
Rated Cap: 36,200lbs
High Idle Control Help

My bus has switches for high idle control, and even has a big sticker above the driver seat that says to "Set throttle control at 1,200 RPMS when idling". But the buttons don't do anything. I've tried every combination of button presses and throttle positions and then button presses etc. But nothing seems to work. I checked the switch connections on the back of the panel and they seem fine. I've Googled for a few days with no luck, I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction of where to look next.
Attached Thumbnails
20200226_214159.jpg   20200301_153410.jpg  

Neorush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:01 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neorush View Post
My bus has switches for high idle control, and even has a big sticker above the driver seat that says to "Set throttle control at 1,200 RPMS when idling". But the buttons don't do anything. I've tried every combination of button presses and throttle positions and then button presses etc. But nothing seems to work. I checked the switch connections on the back of the panel and they seem fine. I've Googled for a few days with no luck, I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction of where to look next.
Mine don't do anything either. The mechanic said they were disconnected. After I saw the wires still attached I emailed him and he said they get disconnected through the software. I assume from the ECM but it's on my list of things to look into later so I don't have the solution yet.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
Mine don't do anything either. The mechanic said they were disconnected. After I saw the wires still attached I emailed him and he said they get disconnected through the software. I assume from the ECM but it's on my list of things to look into later so I don't have the solution yet.
This is actually really helpful to know. I'll do a little digging and see what I can figure out down that route.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:44 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neorush View Post
This is actually really helpful to know. I'll do a little digging and see what I can figure out down that route.
LOL there's not much I can be helpful with on here, so it's a good thing "I don't actually know the answer yet" is at least somewhat helpful.

I commented because eventually one of us will have the answer and I can put it here for others.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:03 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Usually these controls only function with parking brakes applied (this should be obvious, but just in case ...) Many places, to discourage extended idling, will computer-disable them in addition to setting a shutdown timer, usually between 5-10 minutes. The idle and cruise control can usually be changed in the computer settings.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #6
Almost There

Possible Solution

Had some back and forth with @specialskoolie who has pretty much the same engine. He had access to Cummins Insite and hooked the bus up. Here's his response:

Quote:
If you head to insight and go to features and parameters, there is a
"PTO/REMOTE PTO" option, you can enable and disable the communication to the ECM. That should read "ENABLE" if the switch is working correctly. We changed this and were able to cancel out the HIGH IDLE switch.

If you go over to the "DATA MONITOR/LOGGER" you can see the "REMOTE PTO SWITCH" option, if it is on or off. Regardless of whether it is enabled over on the parameters, you will see this switch on and off because it’s receiving voltage but this doesn’t show if it is communicating to the ECM.
It totally makes sense that they might disable a "PTO" flag before sending the bus on it's way. Now to find a local shop with Cummins Insite access.