Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
good point about " alternator rpm not engine rpm"

kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:53 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys View Post
I think it would be more effective than you might think. in fact if I have time (Its not looking like I will) I want to try and externally mount my generator to run it. $6 a day would be worth it especially as I go through virginia tennasee and arkansas.

remember. the entire bus will be packed (to the ceiling) so I will only be cooling an area about the size of a minivan. I have used window units (little 5000btu units) to cool cars before it was more effective than I thought it would be (this of course depends on how hot and humid it is etc..) I did it just for shiggles because I saw pics on the internet of it and wanted to see if it would work

either way its not practical. max is 1700 watts and that was when new 16 years ago. I don't want to go past 60% capacity and would prefer to stay below 50% load on the alternator.

so no ac for me sadly its one of those. "I have the ac unit already" and "I have the inverter already" so it won't cost me anything can it work kind of deals.

Technically the alternator makes enough power. technically the wires can handle the load. technically the inverter has enough power 2200/3000)

I could also slap 600watts of solar on the roof to help soak up some of the load but I doubt I will have time to do either.

so not going to risk it. the cost of a break down because I burned up the alternator or worse something else electrical is just too great. so I won't risk it.

getting their intact is more important than being a little bit cooler plus I am getting a hotel room each night so AC bed shower sleep breakfast. that will help a lot. I have 3 days inn's lined up in cincinatti, little rock and amarillo. keeping each day to around 10 hours. playing it safe.

Not that it matters since you are not going to run the A/C, but all of that stuff that is packed in there has thermal mass and will need to be cooled down until it reaches equilibrium with the desired temperature. Operating the A/C continuously for a few days before departure might do the trick and then the thermal mass of the "stuff" may actually help keep the bus cooler. If you could plug in the A/C at night at the motels, it might keep the thermal mass advantage working for the whole trip.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote