Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2022, 10:56 PM   #1

I definitely did something wrong?

So I definitely did something wrong! A few months ago
I purchased my first bus after planning for 2+ years. Everything went well, until I am now running into the mess that us the electrical nightmare I've created. I was not smart when it came to demo and simply snipped everything from the back of the bus and brought it to the front. I did forget to label absolutely anything. Now I've been stuck not knowing where to start or how to start on figuring out what wires are needed and what is just filler junk. If anybody has any advice and or resources about how I can tackle this problem, It is GREATLY appreciated.

Picture of bus in original condition attached for attention!
Attached Thumbnails
20220510_130512.jpg  

Weedle'sworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 12:27 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e 215hp Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 77
Take notes on a piece of paper, write down of the colors of the short wires tails remaining on the light fixtures. Note some wire are solid colors, some have an extra colored stripe.

Does the bus still start? If so your emergency exit wires are likely hot so be sure to terminate those wires well.

My bus had some wires that were extra heavy gauge, these went to the flashing strobes, you won't need them, but terminate them well too.

Hopefully by looking at the short tails of wire you can figure most of this out, but you'll likely need a ohm meter to do some testing. With a meter you can check which wires become active when you step on the brakes for example.

Try the search feature here, this question had been asked (and answered better) many times.

Nice looking bus!

Good Luck!
John
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 12:26 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
what year chevy?
what bus body?
i have the chevy manual for 98-2010 and i have an 04 collins/midbus in the driveway if that helps.
what is not working?
i assume all of the rear lights and clearance lights?
does it still start?
do you have the vanda lock system?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice, started stripping out brute force style, wire by wire. If I only knew what was needed and what wasn't.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
what year chevy?
what bus body?
i have the chevy manual for 98-2010 and i have an 04 collins/midbus in the driveway if that helps.
what is not working?
i assume all of the rear lights and clearance lights?
does it still start?
do you have the vanda lock system?
Unsure of what bus body, however it is a 02 chevy I think. it has a v6 in it. Was originally used for farm work.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:06 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeline View Post
Take notes...of the colors of the short wires tails remaining on the light fixtures. Note some wire are solid colors [some are combo colors]...
a)
And some vehicles use white wires with midgetized numbers.
For example:
Wire '1234' goes to a junction or relay, and on the other side of that, that same wire is stamped '5678'.
Fun and games.
Partly for the square walls and ceiling, partly for the boredom of no wires, we decided on a box truck for our conversion.
We like boring.
It is not for everybody, but it works for us...
b)
* notes, plus
* masking-tape with an identifying comment -- 'fuel gauge', 'mystic doppelganger' -- plus
* photographs.
An aside:
What do you want to bet you forget everything, and start over as if you are building from scratch.
Not a question.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:18 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
regardless send me a PM with a phone number or text me at 910 581 7210 and i have specific pics of an 04 collins body wiring setting in my driveway and can take more.
can give you what i cut out and what i have now.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 02:22 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeInBaja View Post
Partly for the square walls and ceiling, partly for the boredom of no wires, we decided on a box truck for our conversion.
We like boring.
It is not for everybody, but it works for us...
Do you have a project link for this anywhere? I've not bought anything yet, not being ready at this point in time, and am not married to the idea of a bus. I'd be interested in seeing what you've done.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 09:31 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc View Post
project link...
Our introduction with plenty of portraits:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/e...8/#post-576110
One reason I include our vehicle type... I hope somebody searches for it.
After a half-century of make-do camping in lesser rigs, we switched paths from bigger rigs, such as our semi-truck conversions primarily engineered for on-road highway use.
Nearly two decades full-time live-aboard in our ExpeditionVehicle.
We built with *zero* complex systems:
* no plumbing
* one line of 12vdc to charge gizmos
* no permanent galley -- we think a permanent galley unused for twenty-three hours every day is imbecilic
* no permanent shower -- we think a permanent shower unused for twenty-three hours every day is [checks thesaurus for synonyms for 'imbecilic']
* everything modular.
Our permanent advice:
* avoid believing 'this rig is my forever rig'.
You change and grow, your vehicle needs evolve.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:25 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Thanks, appreciate it.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:26 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeInBaja View Post
Our introduction with plenty of portraits:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/e...8/#post-576110
One reason I include our vehicle type... I hope somebody searches for it.
After a half-century of make-do camping in lesser rigs, we switched paths from bigger rigs, such as our semi-truck conversions primarily engineered for on-road highway use.
Nearly two decades full-time live-aboard in our ExpeditionVehicle.
We built with *zero* complex systems:
* no plumbing
* one line of 12vdc to charge gizmos
* no permanent galley -- we think a permanent galley unused for twenty-three hours every day is imbecilic
* no permanent shower -- we think a permanent shower unused for twenty-three hours every day is [checks thesaurus for synonyms for 'imbecilic']
* everything modular.
Our permanent advice:
* avoid believing 'this rig is my forever rig'.
You change and grow, your vehicle needs evolve.

I love modular even in a house! my furniture in my living room is all such.. move it around slide it around, turn it match it.. is it a couch? is it a bunch of stools? is it a bed?...

buddy of mine has a loft condo that is even more modular than my attempt.. his kitchen does have a galley to it.. but just a small amount of cabinets as he usaes nly a few kitchen things regularly.. the other kitchen cabinets house things such as tools, office supplies light bulbs, the charging station for his electronics is in a drawer..

he is like me and is a sun-follower.. his work desk is on wheels (with brakes).. he works like i do wherever however as long as he has a laptop .. the desk moves.. it has a nice size battery pack on it for powering the computer and the screen.. its height adjustable.. he moves it to the sunniest window or whichever view he wants... (3 sides of the apartment have windows)..

time to cook? raise the desk up and wheel it into the kitchen.. now its an island.. friend comes for dinner? the extra stool and they sit at the high top and have a beer and dinner.. roll it onto the balcony for patio dining.. or roll it to face the TV fore the steelers game..

its big enough that it can be lowered, adourned with a table cloth and dinner for 4.. done with it? the frame folds to half its width and the top folds down.. yeah it fits in a closet or tucks nicely away..

ansd on goes the list of things in said modular condo..

so much you can do in a bus to make spaces multi-purpose either as they are or with just a few adjustments..

a 36 or 42" 4K TV on a switng arm can double as a second computer monitor for work.. does a bus really need 2 sinks? (i see this often).. does it hurt to walk to the kitchen sink and wash your hands? saves a good foot or more in the bathroom.. if you dont bake, then 1 or 2 induction Hibs can be stored away (even hung vertical on a wall) until you need them.. leaves that counter-top space for something else (even propabe camping burners if you dont have enough electric for hobs)..

do people really need a full size house refrigerator? (I suppose if you plan to be boonbocked stationary for a long time between grocery trips.. or are hunting and need to store lots of meat) but many people are going to be within reach of a store every couple days yet install a monster space / power hogging frig...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#electrical, #failure, #nightmare