Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2020, 03:55 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: MicroBird
Engine: 7.3L powerstroke
If you trace it to another relay... That, most likely, will be the high amperage Starter Relay. That one you might want to keep (as is) to start your bus.

However, you could always repurpose the one you bypassed as a hidden theft prevention device

maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:29 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 8 seats, 5 wheelchairs
On my '03 Thomas flat nose bus all the safety stuff that ran back through the bus, windows, roof hatches, back door, that if they were open the bus wouldn't start were all on the same circuit and worked from the GROUND, in other words if a window, hatch, or door was open then the system lost ground and you got the buzzer and no start. It's ONE WIRE that grounds the whole thing. On my bus there was a square black relay in the panel by the drivers seat accessed from the outside. It had three or four orange wires and one YELLOW in it. The yellow wire was labeled B32. Once I figured out the system all I had to do was ground the yellow B32 wire and the system was fooled into thinking it was grounded all the time even if the doors or windows are open. I figured this out while taking all the school bus related garbage, cameras, DVR, flashing lights, etc. out, and was thrilled when I figured it out. If all else fails for you I'm near Nashville, TN, not to far from So. Ill. Maybe I could come that way and help you out.
1dmpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:22 AM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dmpo View Post
On my '03 Thomas flat nose bus all the safety stuff that ran back through the bus, windows, roof hatches, back door, that if they were open the bus wouldn't start were all on the same circuit and worked from the GROUND, in other words if a window, hatch, or door was open then the system lost ground and you got the buzzer and no start. It's ONE WIRE that grounds the whole thing. On my bus there was a square black relay in the panel by the drivers seat accessed from the outside. It had three or four orange wires and one YELLOW in it. The yellow wire was labeled B32. Once I figured out the system all I had to do was ground the yellow B32 wire and the system was fooled into thinking it was grounded all the time even if the doors or windows are open. I figured this out while taking all the school bus related garbage, cameras, DVR, flashing lights, etc. out, and was thrilled when I figured it out. If all else fails for you I'm near Nashville, TN, not to far from So. Ill. Maybe I could come that way and help you out.

Good to know. I was assuming that it worked by interrupting the power to the ignition switch wire. Are you saying the door/latch switches connect the relay to ground and the relay then energizes/powers the buzzers and ignition switch?
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:26 AM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

IDK, I was looking for a way to start the bus with the back door open and realized that the switch at the door was working because the ground was broke, which led me to following the wire up to the front of the bus and finding all the othe wires connected to it at the escape hatches and windows and that caused the very dim light bulb in my head to light up. The result was finding the common looking relay and yellow B32 wire which I took to ground and no more buzzer and "no start" if something is open.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Good to know. I was assuming that it worked by interrupting the power to the ignition switch wire. Are you saying the door/latch switches connect the relay to ground and the relay then energizes/powers the buzzers and ignition switch?
I'm slow, had to read the last sentence/question several times. I think the answer is just a simple YES
Old 02-14-2020, 02:28 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dmpo View Post
I'm slow, had to read the last sentence/question several times. I think the answer is just a simple YES

I don't even know what I said. LOL ... but then I'm not sure what you said either. Thanks for the response, I need all the help I can get understanding this, guess I need to track mine down and see if it is the same. breaking a ground to interrupt power just seems a little counter intuitive to me.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Best advice I've heard yet. If it works, then splice those two wires together and throw the relay (that silver cylinder thingy) away and continue with your adventures!
Maddmaxx, Did you have an interlock on your Microbird? I'm just starting to sniff around the wiring on my newly acquired Microbird and wonder where I should look. These cutaways have things tucked away tight.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:48 PM   #48

Another option, if you still need help with this, is to post on facebook/craigslist etc, looking for a local electronics/wiring/car stereo/macgyver type person, since they are the sort of people who would probably appreciate the challenge, and know enough to be able to trace/identify the wiring, and sort it out/remove/disable it etc for you, and probably for not a lot of money.
Squigley is offline   Reply With Quote