Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 42
Installation Questions - Inverter with separate Converter

Hi everyone

I could really use some help right now. I have searched the internet (including this forum) for many hours to find the information I need, to no avail.

What I'm looking for is a detailed description or diagram that shows how to install the components I have so that they work as they should and not blow anything up.

All the main components I have were given to me, so I'm going with what I have.

Here's what I have:

- WFCO WF-9855 Converter/Charger
- WFCO WF-5110HP Inverter (this has an automatic transfer switch built in)
- WFCO WF-8930/50 Distribution Panel

I'm running a 50 amp system. I have no solar (but plan to add that later). I want to be able to charge the batteries from the alternator as we travel, so I know I need an isolator. I also know that I need a fuse between the batteries and the inverter. And I'll put a disconnect here on the negative lead.

I understand that I should probably power one side of the AC panel with the inverter and power the other side directly from shore power. Am I right about this?

Since the converter is powering the DC panel, do I power it from the inverter side of the AC panel? Is this an inefficient use of battery power? (the inverter transforming 12v to 120v and then the converter transforming 120v back to 12v) Is there another way to power the 12V system when not connected to shore power?

Also, the Inverter has a power cord attached. Where do I plug this in?

Is there anything else I've overlooked?

Again - if anyone has a diagram that shows in detail how to connect all this together and where exactly each connection is made, that would be great.

I appreciate any help anyone can provide!

Thanks in advance - Gary

ghodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Just to deal with one of your issues ...

Depending on the kind of batteries you fit, you cannot effectively charge them from the alternator without an expensive converter/charger.

The reason is that flooded lead/acid batteries, the most common fitment, need a much higher charging voltage than an alternator is regulated for. They are not compatible with your starting batteries for charging purposes.

There are three ways to charge your house batteries. Solar, Shore-power and a generator. You can add a fourth, alternator, but it gets expensive especially if you need a new, higher-power, alternator.

This ... - WFCO WF-9855 Converter/Charger only goes to 14.4V during charging. It isn't enough. You will never get the FLA-type batteries above about 80%, even though a meter will tell you they are fully charged. And yes, I know RV manufacturers fit them. Shame on them.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Switch the positive lead only. Switching the negative lead leaves the high (electric) potential positive lead still charged. For similar reasons the fuses should be in the positive lead(s). Google is your friend for sorting this stuff out.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Just to deal with one of your issues ...

Depending on the kind of batteries you fit, you cannot effectively charge them from the alternator without an expensive converter/charger.

The reason is that flooded lead/acid batteries, the most common fitment, need a much higher charging voltage than an alternator is regulated for. They are not compatible with your starting batteries for charging purposes.

There are three ways to charge your house batteries. Solar, Shore-power and a generator. You can add a fourth, alternator, but it gets expensive especially if you need a new, higher-power, alternator.

This ... - WFCO WF-9855 Converter/Charger only goes to 14.4V during charging. It isn't enough. You will never get the FLA-type batteries above about 80%, even though a meter will tell you they are fully charged. And yes, I know RV manufacturers fit them. Shame on them.
Ah, good stuff to know. I was planning to use FLA batteries. Guess I'll have to rethink that.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Switch the positive lead only. Switching the negative lead leaves the high (electric) potential positive lead still charged. For similar reasons the fuses should be in the positive lead(s). Google is your friend for sorting this stuff out.
Jack
Gotcha. Thanks

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
Almost There

SO, can anyone tell me where I should plug in the Inverter and the Converter? Where should their power come from?
Old 03-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodges View Post
SO, can anyone tell me where I should plug in the Inverter and the Converter? Where should their power come from?
12V input to the Inverter comes from the house batteries. 120V input comes from your shore-power connection.

120V output goes to the input of your load center.

Ignore the converter

Use the Inverter/Charger to charge the batteries.

You can also plug a generator into the shore-power input.

Battery output also goes to the 12V side of your load center.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:54 PM   #8
Almost There

Thanks Steve
Old 09-17-2022, 08:58 PM   #9

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: 3126 Cat Diesel 210hp
Help WFCO 8930/50

I have the wfco 8930/50 distribution box, Just FYI, Right now, I am only connecting to shore power, I still have to buy my batteries for the 12 volt system and all the things that go with that. I have done research, and it appears if I only do a 30 amp system, I can only use half the circuit breakers available (left side of box), which is okay, but should I choose to use the right side of the circuit breakers, how would I power that on a 30 amp system? My guess is that I need to power it for a 50 amp to do both sides and using a 30 amp hookup only half of the breakers will work, is this a correct assumption? I am just trying to figure this out.

Tags
ac/dc, converter, electrical, electrical system, inverter