Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2021, 05:22 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: 6.0L Gas
Installing multiple systems

Hello everyone!

Wanting to accomplish a few different installs and looking for guidance on my approach.

Firstly, I found two 12v 100ah batteries in alright condition and was wanting to charge them off my alternator. Am I looking for a dual battery isolator kit or battery charger? How can I check my alternator ahead of time to ensure it can handle the load?

I also invested in two 100w solar panels that I'm still waiting on, a 30a MPPT controller and the necessary wires from Renogy.

I have a 2000w inverter with two outlets but want to hardwire some gang boxes around the bus that can utilize both solar and shore power.

I know I'll need fuses, grounds, likely some kind of voltage regulator (battery charger or isolator maybe?) and junction boxes. My phone and computer are a flurry of saved links to various guides already, but certainly open to more.

This all feels very ambitious but possible. I am looking for your favorite resources for wiring 110v outlets from your inverter. If I need to buy another kind, I'm willing.

I've been searching the site but haven't found many folks working with the same systems and wonder if there are things I should anticipate before jumping in or systems I should wire first. So far, I'm thinking tying my battery bank to the alternator is first.

Thanks so much.

novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:20 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
This is for one bus?
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:57 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: 6.0L Gas
Yes. If the solar inverter can't tie into shore power wiring thru a junction box, I'm sure it sounds like overkill.

I own zero property and live in my bus full-time so it's absolutely worth it to me so I can live comfortably without a generator.

Also pretty paranoid about running extension cords since friends of friends have passed away in house fires related to power surging that way.

I see the alternator tie-in and solar as essentially one system, but know it's an extra step.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v, alternator, electrical, shore power, solar