Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2021, 09:11 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post

GS inverters are a different animal, really. They are overbuilt and are true to rating / full duty cycle. These things are just now being released- I preordered mine back in October. They have 3000W and 6000W units available for order and are designing a 12kW unit now.

Be extremely careful opening up an inverter- the stuff in there can kill you.
Kazetsukai, I looked up GS inverters and there's one line from China and one that Xantrex makes. Which, if either, are the ones you're talking about?

Per opening up an inverter/charger, are you talking while connected or disconnected to shore or battery? If disconnected, why are they dangerous? Do they have capacitors that could discharge?

Old 02-21-2021, 10:20 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I'm a big fan of Xantrex and Outback for inverter products, having used them in remote village electrification systems where reliability is important. For charge controllers, I happen to love MidNite Solar and got to know the founders/owners Robin and his brother Bob Gudgel. I've also used Trace charge controllers in remote installations in India, and they held up well.

I noticed that MidNite Solar uses Samlex inverters, recommended in a prior post above, so that carries a lot of weight with me. I have mucho respect for Robin and Bob. They both have tons of experience in the wind and solar and off-grid industry I came from.

<story telling hat on>

Outback has nothing to do with Australia. What I heard, in a seminar speech, was that one of the Gudgel brothers (I think Bob, but maybe Robin or both?) was employed at Xantrex and they were working to build a better inverter...out back...behind the shop, during breaks. Xantrex was rumored to have killed the project, so they left and started Outback. And...the funny part...was that the Outback inverter series was the FX...reputed to stand for F Xantrex.

Eventually, they started MidNite Solar and their products are both cool/retro looking and bombproof. I use their charge controllers in all of our builds. Their surge suppressors are absolutely the best in the industry and worth having. They're not just "sand in a yogurt cup" like most surge protectors...they actually clamp the voltage limits. I have one on my house. Watch some of the video tests of these and you'll get one, too. They're really quite reasonably priced, as well.

<story telling hat off>
rossvtaylor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:53 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
I had no luck with Victron products. Now happy with Magnum.
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:17 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
I'm a big fan of Xantrex and Outback for inverter products, having used them in remote village electrification systems where reliability is important. For charge controllers, I happen to love MidNite Solar and got to know the founders/owners Robin and his brother Bob Gudgel. I've also used Trace charge controllers in remote installations in India, and they held up well.

I noticed that MidNite Solar uses Samlex inverters, recommended in a prior post above, so that carries a lot of weight with me. I have mucho respect for Robin and Bob. They both have tons of experience in the wind and solar and off-grid industry I came from.
Choke, choke, cough, cough....catching my breath. I looked at the Outback website. That's a whole other level of inverter/charger stuff. Then, I looked at the prices....yowzah! Not saying it's not worth every penny, just sooo out of my price range.

But, I absolutely loved the story of how the FX model came to be. Bob and Robin were once contributors, but X didn't see the diamond in the rough and now they are competitors.

It's similar to a story I read about a neighbor X suing to have neighbor Y lower his recent remodel/addition because it blocked X's view. So, Y had to remodel his remodel, but instead of normal windows, he had special ones made that were in the shape of a hand flipping someone the bird. X had to look at that every day! ha.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:33 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Choke, choke, cough, cough....catching my breath. I looked at the Outback website. That's a whole other level of inverter/charger stuff. Then, I looked at the prices....yowzah! Not saying it's not worth every penny, just sooo out of my price range.
Haha, yes they are pricey and I should have clarified that I've only used their inverters in home/commercial applications. And if you think those are next level...you should look at Fronius! More than any other brand in that category, I had the most experience with SMA. Those were primarily grid-tied and they were great products with great support. I just realized I'm typing about SMA in the past tense...haha...they're still around, but I'm not in that industry any longer. In vehicles, I wouldn't see a real application for those unless money were no object.

For vehicle builds, I think the Xantrex are top notch. But I will definitely try out a Samlex next build.
rossvtaylor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:08 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Hi Ross, the renewable energy industry is a interesting story. I lived near Arlington where it began and met a few of the players and avid users. And have a outback system in my old Motorhome. I’m thinking of taking it out for my skoolie. It just keeps working for 7 years and my friend has really tested his out for about 12 years. I think if one plans to use the system for a long long time they are not too expensive. Especially as the resale value of a outback inverter is good.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:10 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari View Post
I only use low frequency inverters with built in chargers. I’m interested in a GS 3000 watt. Have no demand for any bigger. Am getting by on a Sterling Power 2100 watt inverter currently pretty well. I’m using the gel battery setting when I use it to charge my LFP batteries but I use solar 99 % of the time. Do the GS inverter/chargers have a programmable Lithium Charger??
The GS inverters shipping today do not have charging enabled. Its my understanding that charging will roll out as a software update, and that it will have fully programmable charging (float/bulk/absorb).

Quote:
Kazetsukai, I looked up GS inverters and there's one line from China and one that Xantrex makes. Which, if either, are the ones you're talking about?

https://www.genetrysolar.com/

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2...FcEfS5ebgHyw2w
6000W Load test:

6000W Overload test:

Comparison to 6000W PowerJack inverters:

Genetry Solar is why I even considered PowerJack stuff, as Sean does warranty service for PJ in the US.

Quote:
Per opening up an inverter/charger, are you talking while connected or disconnected to shore or battery? If disconnected, why are they dangerous? Do they have capacitors that could discharge?
Even disconnected, high voltage caps make it fairly dangerous. My suggestion is either know what you are doing or don't do it. Also NEVER open an inverter connected to either shore power or battery.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
The GS inverters shipping today do not have charging enabled. Its my understanding that charging will roll out as a software update, and that it will have fully programmable charging (float/bulk/absorb).

Genetry Solar is why I even considered PowerJack stuff, as Sean does warranty service for PJ in the US.

Even disconnected, high voltage caps make it fairly dangerous. My suggestion is either know what you are doing or don't do it. Also NEVER open an inverter connected to either shore power or battery.
I'll look at the GS and PJ. Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, capacitors are like venomous snakes, the initial bite is nothing compared to what comes after, albeit instantaneous with electricity vs venom.

I am pretty cautious about messing with anything, even if I've done it before.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:22 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Quote:
I'll look at the GS and PJ. Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, capacitors are like venomous snakes, the initial bite is nothing compared to what comes after, albeit instantaneous with electricity vs venom.

I am pretty cautious about messing with anything, even if I've done it before.
Im cautious also and was only planning on a visual inspection with the Samlex inverter disconnected. Capacitors scare me and I dont know the proper safety techniques.
It concerns me a bit that the GS charger is not functioning and conditional on a future firmware update. I will likely wait until it’s plug and play. But then they might raise the price? Dunno.
I read a bunch of the GS website but did not see a couple of features I’m hoping for. A remote switch so a bms can simply control the inverter? Also a auxiliary relay so the inverter can control some loads?. Some high end charge controllers come with these auxiliary relays so I might go that route. Its good idea to always check the inverter idle power consumption. I think I saw 25 watts on the website for the 3000 watt inverter. If lithium batteries become affordable then idle power, etc won’t be as much of a issue because a bigger battery can be used. And then bigger inverters can be used. I’m building a new system with 4 BYD batteries that can handle a bigger 24 volt inverter.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:35 PM   #30
Bus Nut

I found the GS website lacking in information, yet I respect the input from poster and appreciate GS desire to talk with customers and assure they get a unit that match their needs.

Per PJ, I watched this video. Like the guy says, it's a good inverter, but the wattage claims are false. If the inverter in this video claims 15kw, but is really only capable of 5kw, than maybe all PJ ratings need to be divided by three?

https://youtu.be/d56n4ckWKvU

Electricity kills. Making false claims is putting lives in danger.

I might buy a fully tested PJ from GS, but if I buy new, I'm dividing by three.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:41 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Per PJ, I watched this video. Like the guy says, it's a good inverter, but the wattage claims are false. If the inverter in this video claims 15kw, but is really only capable of 5kw, than maybe all PJ ratings need to be divided by three?
It'll probably do 15kW for a short period of time, like I mentioned they're typically double their full duty cycle ratings. The GS YouTube channel has a 15kw stress test showing Sean's PJ 15kW unit peaking at around 12kW. That model is a different chassis than the one in your video, and he's probably enhanced the cooling of the unit with high speed fans. Before GS started making inverters, they made a WiFi board upgrade for PJ inverters, along with a high speed fan kit. The demo I referenced is probably using that.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:10 PM   #32
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000-8 Window
Engine: Cumm ISB/Allison 2000
I've used Trace inverters (4024 SW) in our off grid system for about 24 years. The only hiccup that I had was a lightning strike that fried one about 18 years ago. Rock solid. Only downtime (except lightning strike) has been for battery swap out.

I'm upgrading to a 48v system and will be using a 6kw Growatt. I won't be using the built in PV charge controller, but will wire up the power for generator charging. The only reason that I mention this system is that I will be using a 3kw Growatt inverter in my bus build and it also has the PV controller and generator charger built in.
jofred99 is offline   Reply With Quote