Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 5 million mega tons
Inverter/ Charger

What brand is everyone using with good results? Im shopping for around 2000 watts inverter/charger. We wont really be boondocking alot and will need to charge from the inverter as well as the alternator as we head down the road. Its not going to be a big system. A small agm bank and 2 main 110 circuits. Let me know what all you guys have had success with. Theres lots of "amazon specials" but then theres the big guys like Tripp lite, and AIMS, and xantrex. Ive never purchased one but have installed a few. Thanks!

SSPAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We just had our AIMS 2000w inverter/charger fail after less than a year in use and the tech support was of no use...needless to say, I wouldn't recommend them. The power saver mode was broken right out of the box, so I used it in always-on mode. The charge mode started failing us towards the end. I think AIMS has a good social media presence, but their support is pretty lacking.

I bought a Xantrex 2000w inverter/charger to replace it and it was only 75 bucks more than the AIMS (I bought from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun at their warehouse, so it was cheaper than their website). It's got a 2 year warranty and IMO is a nicer unit. The guy I talked to at NAWS told me that AIMS is a rebranded inverter, they don't do their own manufacturing. He said he's heard more stories like mine than he can count.
You might be able to get away with less than 2000w, depending on what your energy use is going to be.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:43 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the info! We could probably get by with a smaller unit, but i think doing it once is better than needing to upgrade later. Really all we're powering is a fridge, and a couple outlets for charging devices and a tv.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:51 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
IMHO:

I will not use an Aims inverter in any application that I have to rely on. Xantrex all of the way. If your budget absolutely won't accommodate Xantrex then I would take a look at Samlex.

I maintained several remote communication sites that we installed Samlex around 13 years ago. They have been supporting 24x7 loads for thirteen years.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:58 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thankyou for the info. I want to do it once, so I'll stay away from AIMS.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:50 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I have a Magnum MS2000 - solid, made in USA, fully field-serviceable, hopefully the last big inverter I'll ever need to buy. The only slight downside is that its power consumption in Sleep mode is higher than most of the Samlex/Cotek inverters, so I'll use one of them for my 24/7 fridger and keep my Magnum for other occasional AC loads whenever required.

Another reason I chose the Magnum is that its built-in 100A charger is PFC, with a Power Factor greater than 0.95; it also has battery temperature compensation (important in hotter weather). The Magnum is also able to easily power difficult reactive loads better than some other makes - not all Sine Wave inverters are the same!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
2000 Xantrex inv. been working perfectly for 5 years now. Have a separate 55a Powermax convertor/charger. Yamaha 2000 gen mounted under the bus.
400w solar through a Renogy Rover into 650ah AGMs. No hookup to the bus alt and the batts power a 4.5cf elect fridge, tv, dvd, xm, lights no issues.
If cloudy I run the very thrifty gen for a while. 10g tank for the gen, I fill twice per year, never takes more than 5 g.

70% mornings mostly after late night tv etc.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Victron Energy Multiplexes I've heard are great products. They solve three problems of inverter/shore charger/solar charger and provides an upgrade path to split phase if you want it. Completely configurable.

If you want to install actual outlets in your rig, going through an AC breaker panel, I would suggest not going below 2000W. That way your outlets will behave like "true" AC outlets in that they can run any single 110V appliance you plugin without worry, and you can install 15A (or 20A at 2500W+) outlets and breakers that will trip before your inverter gives up trying to supply a load.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:29 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Good suggestions.
I had no issues at all with my Victron Multiplus. I like a 3000 watt inverter so I can plug in a big load like a toaster without turning everything else off every time.
This time around Im gong to try a Sterling Power inverter charger I found. Its only 2100 watt but I’ll manage the loads.
Samlex and Cotek have good reviews. I’m considering a small Samlex in parallel wth the Sterling. Morningstar also makes a great little inverter.
For cheap units be been reading some decent reviews of Reliable and Giandel inverters. They have no charger but are very affordable. I have no first hand experience with these brands.
I don’t work or have any affiliation with any of these companies.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:18 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Im now kinda focused on the inverter/chargers from Renogy. They seem to be one of the go-to solar companies. Has anyone used their stuff? I see lots of their setups out there.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Have Renogy 100w solar x 4 and a Rover mppt.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:19 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Im just wondering if their inverters are as good as the solar components.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:20 PM   #13
Bus Nut

I’m wondering if Renogy inverter chargers are relabeled? Who builds their stuff? I have some Renogy gel cell batteries and don’t know who actually makes them. Once a company subsidizes overseas its difficult to tell. I’m near Arlington, WA. This was the home of Trace, then Xantrex, Outback, Midnite, Magnum, Balmar, etc., but once they grew and became multinational it’s impossible to tell.
Ive heard mixed reviews regarding a Renogy support. It took a month for them to return my email but they did eventually without me sending another. And they apologized for the late response.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPAdventures View Post
Im now kinda focused on the inverter/chargers from Renogy. They seem to be one of the go-to solar companies. Has anyone used their stuff? I see lots of their setups out there.
My first solar charge controller was a Renogy Tracer 40A MPPT. I used it in a 12V configuration (and later a 24V configuration to accommodate more panels) on a setup to drive water pumps for an aquaponic greenhouse. It was operating outdoors for most of the year... After the project ended, I moved the array to the bus along with the charger.

Why I stopped using the Renogy: When I re-evaluated battery requirements for the bus based on appliance ratings, I found I needed quite a bit more in battery size/weight than I was comfortable putting into the storage bays. That lead to researching lithium, etc - > I ended up with Tesla batteries as my target solution. I needed fully configurable voltages and not just chemistry profiles, therefore I got my Victron 150/100.

The Renogy moved into my van conversion (2011 Transit Connect) when I split my array. I put two of my panels on the van. Its still going strong, built tough but a bit bulky I think. I'm going to reconfigure the setup soon and if I get rid of the Tracer it will be due to size, not function. I'll likely keep it if it fits under a seat.

TL;DR: Renogy Tracer 40A 12V/24V still going strong after 5+ years of service largely outdoors with huge humidity and temp variations. Get the external screen add-on.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPAdventures View Post
What brand is everyone using with good results? Im shopping for around 2000 watts inverter/charger. We wont really be boondocking alot and will need to charge from the inverter as well as the alternator as we head down the road. Its not going to be a big system. A small agm bank and 2 main 110 circuits. Let me know what all you guys have had success with. Theres lots of "amazon specials" but then theres the big guys like Tripp lite, and AIMS, and xantrex. Ive never purchased one but have installed a few. Thanks!
https://www.ebay.com/p/7034198334
Been using it for about 3 years. It's very efficient. Doest complain when I make coffee, run the AC, turn on the microwave, and then the freezer kicks in. Has a Huge transformer. Was less than 300 bucks when o bought it. I think it is around 310 now. A real good price for an inverter that has no trouble with motor startups.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:18 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I've read the above posts, I've bee researching inverter chargers for the last couple of years off and on, but now I'm needing to pull the trigger. I'm avoiding AIMs.

I'm bouncing between 2000 / 3000 watt, but otherwise 12v, pure sign, auto transfer, 50a+ charging.

I've looked at the Magnum and Samlex, obviously great products, with a price to match. I'm feeling more comfortable with the Xatrex for it's reputation and features, yet still price sensitive @ $1,300 for 3000w before tax/shipping.

I'm heavily weighing the Renogy 3000w/12v because it appears to be a decent middle of the pack product/company (although, my recent attempts to contact them was not great). Yet, it has a 2 year warranty, as does the Xantrex. It's lower in features and in charging amps, yet still enough for my loads. And, it's available for just under $800.

My loads are as follows (based on 12v):

4.5cuft 110v refrigerator running 24/7 (330kwhr a year, translates into about 72ah a day at 12v). That's just an average, not sure what actual will be, but from what I read, figure a 33% duty cycle.

Instant pot at 700w continuous, but only for an hour, ~58a

Fan for three (3) hours @25a = ~75a

A 1,000w appliance (microwave, toaster, etc.) for 10m per day (anything above 20 minutes of use, I'd probably use the generator) ~18a

Then computer, phone, led lights about 10a per day.

My loads are not much, but one never knows what I might like to use two high draw appliances down the road. So, I'm trying to avoid buyers remorse by pushing my price sensitivity towards the 3000w.

I'd appreciate your opinions on:
1) My current (pun not intended) power draw for a 2000 vs 3000 unit
2) Understanding fully Xantrex is a GOAT, but am I really shooting myself in the foot as a light electrical user by going with a Renogy?

Thanks for anyone that can shed some reassuring feedback about which was to lean.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:13 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
https://www.ebay.com/p/7034198334
Been using it for about 3 years. It's very efficient. Doest complain when I make coffee, run the AC, turn on the microwave, and then the freezer kicks in. Has a Huge transformer. Was less than 300 bucks when o bought it. I think it is around 310 now. A real good price for an inverter that has no trouble with motor startups.
Nice to see another PowerJack user here. They're good inverters, I think. Have you seen the Genetry Solar inverters? They're built by PJ, but to a much higher spec with some smart features. If you're ever looking for an upgrade, check them out.

I have a 3000W PJ in my mini skoolie, an 8000W PJ in my big rig (previously 24v, now 48v), and I'm waiting on delivery of a 6000W GS inverter.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:09 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Those PJ and GS sound like hit or miss. Might get a good one or might not. From the few reviews I read. For some the customer service was iffy. But I might try one if I can’t get this Samlex to work. It’s acting DOA. But it’s used and was super cheap. Hope it’s just a internal fuse or something simple. Will open it up tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:21 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari View Post
Those PJ and GS sound like hit or miss. Might get a good one or might not. From the few reviews I read. For some the customer service was iffy. But I might try one if I can’t get this Samlex to work. It’s acting DOA. But it’s used and was super cheap. Hope it’s just a internal fuse or something simple. Will open it up tomorrow.
Low frequency inverters are heavy and subject to damage in shipping. My 3kW had a ribbon cable rattle loose, and both 8kW had case damage although they functioned fine. Chances are if it works on arrival and installed properly it is going to keep working, although PJ inverters' ratings are around double for full duty cycle (8000W = 4000W full duty).

GS inverters are a different animal, really. They are overbuilt and are true to rating / full duty cycle. These things are just now being released- I preordered mine back in October. They have 3000W and 6000W units available for order and are designing a 12kW unit now.

Be extremely careful opening up an inverter- the stuff in there can kill you.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:28 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Low frequency inverters are heavy and subject to damage in shipping. My 3kW had a ribbon cable rattle loose, and both 8kW had case damage although they functioned fine. Chances are if it works on arrival and installed properly it is going to keep working, although PJ inverters' ratings are around double for full duty cycle (8000W = 4000W full duty).

GS inverters are a different animal, really. They are overbuilt and are true to rating / full duty cycle. These things are just now being released- I preordered mine back in October. They have 3000W and 6000W units available for order and are designing a 12kW unit now.

Be extremely careful opening up an inverter- the stuff in there can kill you.
I only use low frequency inverters with built in chargers. I’m interested in a GS 3000 watt. Have no demand for any bigger. Am getting by on a Sterling Power 2100 watt inverter currently pretty well. I’m using the gel battery setting when I use it to charge my LFP batteries but I use solar 99 % of the time. Do the GS inverter/chargers have a programmable Lithium Charger??
This Sterling Power inverter/charger looks suspiciously like another brand I saw. They relabel them don’t they? I read this Samlex might have been made by Cotek and same goes for Go Power.