Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2020, 03:00 PM   #1

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Transit
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Inverter question

Starting work on the electrical system and I’d like to run the 24v bus systems while on shore power. There are 2 power distribution panels (pic of front included).

I already have a 100 amp 120 to 12 converter so I’d like to use that (pic included).

Can I just get another of the same converter and hook them up to the power panel to supply 200 amps of 24v?

Thinking I should connect the red of one converter to the 12v terminal and the other to the 24v. Common black terminal for both.

My assumption is that this will run the bus with no issue (need to get into the books and confirm amp requirements).

Will this also safely keep the batteries charged?

https://app.photobucket.com/u/romad7/p/c6197d17-0378-4713-b39a-e374b50a2899

https://app.photobucket.com/u/romad7/p/e0019cd3-9a50-4e85-b5b3-1336b7a38e64

romad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:35 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

What I think you are asking is can you stack the outputs of 2 12V chargers to make 1 24V charger. That depends on your chargers. If the charger output has a ground reference then they can't be stacked. If they can be stacked, you would get only 100A at 24VDC.

Measure the positive and negative 12V to ground. If you get voltage on either positive or negative to ground, then they can't be stacked. I think that buying a 24VDC charger and selling your 12V charger would be the safest move. I'd hate to endorse stacking 12V chargers unless the manufacturer suggests it.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad7 View Post
Starting work on the electrical system and I’d like to run the 24v bus systems while on shore power. There are 2 power distribution panels (pic of front included).

I already have a 100 amp 120 to 12 converter so I’d like to use that (pic included).

Can I just get another of the same converter and hook them up to the power panel to supply 200 amps of 24v?

Thinking I should connect the red of one converter to the 12v terminal and the other to the 24v. Common black terminal for both.

My assumption is that this will run the bus with no issue (need to get into the books and confirm amp requirements).

Will this also safely keep the batteries charged?

https://app.photobucket.com/u/romad7...a-e374b50a2899

https://app.photobucket.com/u/romad7...3-1336b7a38e64

This seems like the type of technical question that you would be better off asking the manufacturer or distributor of your converter. They are best positioned to know the complexities of their product. Barring an official nod of approval, I would guess it is not advisable. I would get a proper 24v inverter/charger or converter.

This is not an area (converters/chargers) that I am very familiar with, but speaking generally, from what I've seen, wiring in parallel seems relatively common but wiring in series, I have not personally seen, and I wonder how charge logic would be affected.

Why do you have a 12v converter and 24v battery bank? Are you upgrading to 24v? If so the inverter would need to be switched to 24v as well, and a 24v inverter/charger would be a smart purchase.

Also, as an aside, [100A 12v] + [100A 12v] can either be [200A 12v] or [100A 24v] but not both.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:58 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
If the 120vac->12v converter uses a transformer, then it has a 'floating' ground and you can connect them in series. I charged a 120vdc battery with 10 12v power supplies in series in the past, just because I had a lot of them sitting around. But why mess around, just sell the 12v and buy a new 24v charger, you have to buy a new one anyway.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:03 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
If the 120vac->12v converter uses a transformer, then it has a 'floating' ground and you can connect them in series. I charged a 120vdc battery with 10 12v power supplies in series in the past, just because I had a lot of them sitting around. But why mess around, just sell the 12v and buy a new 24v charger, you have to buy a new one anyway.

I would be worry that a 'converter' is a bit more complicated than a fixed or adjustable voltage power supply. Don't they have charge profiles, logic, and such, or are they basically glorified power supplies?
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote