Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Inverters.......ugh

More things for my aged brain to deal with. Seeing my batteries are in the back. Where do I hook onto? Front panel....battery?? I've done a bit of research of what to look for in an inverter, so I got it picked for now.

opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6
Re: Inverters.......ugh

Mount your inverter as close to the battery bank as possible, without being in the same compartment. Gasses from the batteries arent good for circuit boards. AC line loss is minimal compared to DC line loss, so leave to long run for the AC side to your breaker panel. Use the absolute largest cables between the batteries and inverter. I found that bulk welder ground cable works well, has a heavy duty insulation and a fine wire braid for flexibility. Only found it colored black, so be sure to mark the positive end at both ends with red tape!
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Ok, I can drill a hole from the batteries up into the back bedroom and mount it on the wall there. Good to know.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Its only 1000w. When we park we will use the genset. Moving what little 110v we will have, we will use the inverter.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ob1
Mount your inverter as close to the battery bank as possible . . . AC line loss is minimal compared to DC line loss . . . .
To be more precise, higher voltage (120 volts) requires less current per watt and produces less line loss than a lower voltage (12 volts), which requires a higher current per watt. Current flow through a resistance (the wiring) produces heat, which is wasted power.

Raising the voltage decreases current demand and therefore reduces wire heating loss. This is why coaches will often have 24-volt systems. Some inverter systems (including a tiny number on bus conversions) will use a 24-volt or even 48-volt battery bank and a matching inverter with AC-only wiring. These inverters are not department-store finds, though.

If one were to go this more expensive route and still want to add 12-volt DC devices, use a DC-to-DC converter for them. Tapping across the first battery (or first two 6-volt ones) will screw up battery longevity. The cheap and smart way, as stated by others, is to put a 12-volt inverter near the batteries, use heavy wires, keep them short, and keep connections tight and clean.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Makes sense to me. I think I can get away with 6' cables.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Bus Geek

i totally agree with the above poster that welding cable is best.