Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2021, 09:19 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas Built Freightliner. Allison 2000 tranny
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65 (dognose)
Engine: Mercedes MBE 906 six cylinder diesel
Rated Cap: 35 feet long
Is it Ok to locate electrical components under the bed?

I recently bought a 35 foot dog nose school bus. I知 designing the layout now. I plan on having a king size bed occupying the last 7 feet of the bus with storage underneath about 24 inches high, accessible from inside the bus and from the rear door.

Q: Would it be OK to locate electrical components in that storage space under the bed?

Components would include an inverter/charger, solar power manager, 110 volt breaker box and lifepo batteries. Presumably I値l need to provide for some air circulation. Do any of these components make enough noise (e.g. cooling fans) to disturb one痴 sleep? Are there safety or other issues if I put these components under the bed? Thanks!

David from Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 12:29 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David from Ontario View Post
I recently bought a 35 foot dog nose school bus. I知 designing the layout now. I plan on having a king size bed occupying the last 7 feet of the bus with storage underneath about 24 inches high, accessible from inside the bus and from the rear door.

Q: Would it be OK to locate electrical components in that storage space under the bed?

Components would include an inverter/charger, solar power manager, 110 volt breaker box and lifepo batteries. Presumably I値l need to provide for some air circulation. Do any of these components make enough noise (e.g. cooling fans) to disturb one痴 sleep? Are there safety or other issues if I put these components under the bed? Thanks!
Yes. It is quite common to make good use of that space that way. Ventilation is a good idea, so is soundproofing if you are worried about that. But thick enough wood for the platform should take care of any noise.
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:50 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Its the norm for Sprinter/large van builds, but that is not the same as saying its okay or not, what is common is quite often not the same as what is safe or what is best.

While its maybe not ideal, I personally would feel it is an acceptable risk for me. But I would take care to make sure nothing flammable is in the immediate area, and nothing can fall on it, and regardless of location you need to make sure you follow manufacturer guidelines for the proper clearances and orientations, as well as electrical best practices. Many people try to shove everything into a tiny space with little care for circulation etc. This is not good, even if it does not cause a fire.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Zork mentions soundproofing, some soundproofing materials like Rockwool, are also fire resistant.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, bed, electrical, inverter, safety