Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2018, 08:40 PM   #1

Is it possible to remote open the bus door?

Ok...
First off....We are Pinky and The Brain... we are very proud owners of a 2006 GMC C5500 Shuttle bus conversion (Glavel 34’ beast named Turbo) that we did ourselves...as most conversions go right?!? We are new to this site as contributors, and plan to upload all of our photos and stories soon. This site has been such a useful tool and a necessity for upgrades and modifications, ideas and how to’s. We are extreme greatful for those that post here and can only hope someone can utilize our knowledge someday.

Well...I’m kinda tired of using the driver side door to enter and exit the bus....my wife (The Brain) gets the pleasure of stairs and ease on the joints however I’m forced to exit with the long drop from the drivers seest to the step which is not too good on rebuilt knees. It has a mechanical door open and close switch, that’s electrical and motor driven, but ideally I would love to have a key fob, and that have a button to open and close the door. I have found several fobs with momentary switches but want to ensure it will work properly before ordering parts and havin yet another bad day when it’s not right. So if you know or have done something like this let me know what works. How it works. Why it works. That’s how we learn right? Again guys...EVERYONE....thanks for your postings. It’s much appreciated.

Love and Light
Pinky &The Brain

Pinky&theBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Shouldn't be a problem. I used to install a lot of alarms on cars, and you could use auxiliary channels for things like that, like to drive motors on pop trunk, roll up windows, etc. I do not however know bus wiring and operations yet, so I wouldn't be any help. Basically the alarm will output power to the door motor wires you tie in to once you find them
Old 03-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #3

Well, I happen to have figured out most of the wiring now, we have been in it since July 2017. Would you be available for communications to help me order the proper kit to install. I’m an electrician by birthright, so the wiring is second nature, just the DC electrical components I’m not too familiar with.
Pinky&theBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:32 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Here's a thread where one of our old members described his remote open/close setup. It looks like some of the thread is missing (it's an old post) but may be helpful.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/op...mote-8101.html
Old 06-06-2018, 07:19 AM   #5

perhaps you could build something by using a linear actuator https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_actuator and something like these remote control power switches https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wireless-...uded/214891256
saveyour is offline   Reply With Quote