Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
Is it Worth Looking at a Used Onan Diesel Generator?

I've been going around in circles for a while on generators. There are just too many options. I started looking at the cheap generators, but they are noisy. I'd want to convert to propane and get a remote start.

Then I started looking at the quiet Hondas. Quiet, durable, efficient, they are very expensive, and propane conversion/remote start kits add further to the price. Also, it still needs a second fuel source on the bus.

So, I noticed a posting for an Onan Quiet Diesel 8000. I havent contacted the guy selling it, so I don't know anything about its year, hours, or maintenance history. In the picture, it is clean but not attached to anything.

1. How would you price something like this? New, that generator is $9-10k.

2. If it's not hooked up to anything, how hard would it be to load test it?

3. How much time/money am I likely looking at after buying this thing to do maintenance prior to install (oil change, etc.) assuming it's in working order.

Here's a similar generator listed new:
ONAN QUIET DIESEL GENERATOR – 8000 WATT

Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Well..... Considering that it will run more than what most give for there bus you prob won't have many hits. I would start calling rv salvage places to get idea going used prices and buying from individuals should usually be a little cheaper. If planning cold stays you may rethink a diesel generator.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:24 PM   #3
Bus Nut

This particular generator is out in the boonies. If you drew a circle with a 100-mile radius, you'd have less than 10,000 people in it, most of them poor. For some odd reason, the seller is having some difficulty finding a buyer...
Old 06-22-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I talked to the local Cummins shop. They said they can do a service - if nothing needs replacement, a routine service should be around $400. They can also do installs, though I might need to build a platform of some kind first. Their generator tech is going to call when he comes in with a little more clarity.

I also called the national office. They looked up the year on the generator (2004). I can hook it up to a 12v battery and 5-gallon fuel can to test, and then check volts and hertz with a multimeter. Load test is a little more involved since I have to wire the output up to something. The guy I talked to suggested I check the brush block and slip ring to see if those parts are worn out. Cloudy white oil means its been sitting too long, and if it blows smoke, that's a good sign something is mechanically wrong.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
How are you going to start that thing up there at -40f. Does it have a block heater ? I assume it is air-cooled too, might work ok up there but have my doubts as to how long it would last in a different climate, like Fla.
Take a few electric plugin heaters to check how it works under load and with no load. Take the load off slowly and it should return nicely to idle.

John
Old 06-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
Bus Nut

This generator has liquid coolant. Interestingly, Onan claims this generator is tested as working down to -20 fahrenheit - I may call and ask the local Alaska dealer for clarification. That seems a little incredible for diesel.

If i can start at -20, then I'm fine 90% of the time. I'm going to avoid using the bus below that temperature anyway, since -20 is about the coldest it can get outside and still be fun. If the temp starts dropping unexpectedly, that's probably a good reason to leave everything running to reduce the chances of getting stranded.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:58 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitsjam View Post
This generator has liquid coolant. Interestingly, Onan claims this generator is tested as working down to -20 fahrenheit - I may call and ask the local Alaska dealer for clarification. That seems a little incredible for diesel.

I would think it does have a block heater then, good news. Once it starts, the temp doesn't matter much how low it goes as long as it gets fuel. You would be wise to add an extra tank from the bus fuel for it.
This is the one that is $8,700? Any warranty? Might as well spend another 400 and get a new one in my mind.

John
Old 06-22-2018, 08:10 PM   #8
Bus Nut

The asking price of this is a lot less than that, but it's 14 years old and in one of the remotest possible parts of the country.

I have a 100 gallon fuel tank - if I run that dry, I'm probably in enough trouble that a bigger tank's not going to get me out of it.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:13 PM   #9
Bus Nut

As a belated update, I did not buy the generator. As I was getting ready for the 2-1/2 hour drive (each way), the seller changed his mind and said he wanted to give the generator to his nephew. I think he was nervous that I wanted to make sure it worked before buying it. He was asking somewhere around $2500 or best offer for it, if I remember correctly.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:40 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Ok, generator is sold so this comment is irrelevant but... for posterity...

I had this model generator in my Newmar Dutch Star and it was WONDERFUL!! I would put one of these in Missy in a heartbeat. The problem, as you noted, is cost. If the hours on this particular unit were in the 2500 or less range, I would have snatched that thing up without a second thought. That's not to imply it is worn out at 2500, just my number. I've heard of many with a huge number of hours.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:56 AM   #11
Bus Nut

I eventually went with a Honda EU3000IS and added remote start, a propane conversion kit, and the cold weather kit.

The Onan would have been nice though... if I lived somewhere more populous, I might have tried to find a junked RV just for the diesel generator and s few other parts.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I need a small generator. I keep going back and forth between the modern inverter type and a classic rv unit. I guess it'll come down to what I can find a deal on.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:07 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Gotta ask...where did you get your remote start and are you happy with it?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I need a small generator. I keep going back and forth between the modern inverter type and a classic rv unit. I guess it'll come down to what I can find a deal on.
I've been putting off buying one for a long time. When I do,I'll probably end up not spending the extra on a "better" inverter type. I figure for something intended to be emergency backup power I'll never make the price difference back in actual usage.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:09 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Gotta ask...where did you get your remote start and are you happy with it?
I ordered a Generator-line EU3WX remote start. I was a little disappointed - I had to modify it to work on the generator because of the cold weather and propane conversion kits. The key fob buttons stick out, so you can't put in your pocket. If you try, like I did, it will drain the battery for your generator, then run the battery out of the fob so it no longer works.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Thanx! Appreciate the info.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Any Onan I have or seen has hardwired switch and connector from the control panel on the genny to a remote location inside the rv. Has off, start and stop positions on the switch, so no need to go outside ever.
A far better way than some new gimmick on the market.

John