Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #1

J1939 / J1708 to OBD II Adaptor Question

Howdy gang,

New to the forum and about to be a new owner of a 2003 International shortie with a T444E engine. I've been searching on how to get real time engine diagnostic information displayed on an external device out of the J1939/J1708 port and have a question:

Are the above connectors just that, connectors, or are they also a protocol for transferring data? I.E. could I use a J1939/J1708 to OBD II converter cable and use one of the OBD II scanners to output engine diagnositcs to a phone/tablet?

I know the Scangauge D is a popular device used around these parts but I hate the idea of using such a tiny display so I'm trying to find a way to get this data shown on a hi res screen

bussymcbusface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
You might enjoy drooling over the dash tablets eye candy on cadillackid's RedByrd over there. Some of it is off-the-shelf, some is custom.

Speaking generally, OBDII is different to the J1939 and J1708 protocols used in heavy trucks. An OBDII scanner should probably be assumed to support only light-duty vehicles unless it specifically says it supports heavy trucks too.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:16 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Engine: t444E
Rated Cap: 210HP 28,000 GVRW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bussymcbusface View Post
Howdy gang,

New to the forum and about to be a new owner of a 2003 International shortie with a T444E engine. I've been searching on how to get real time engine diagnostic information displayed on an external device out of the J1939/J1708 port and have a question:

Are the above connectors just that, connectors, or are they also a protocol for transferring data? I.E. could I use a J1939/J1708 to OBD II converter cable and use one of the OBD II scanners to output engine diagnositcs to a phone/tablet?

I know the Scangauge D is a popular device used around these parts but I hate the idea of using such a tiny display so I'm trying to find a way to get this data shown on a hi res screen

Hey did you find out if the J1939 to OBD II works?
godisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:23 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the protocol is different.. a lot different.. a converter "cable" needs to be something that also processes the data as well.. the data points, and how they are calculated are different .. J1939 and J1708 are different from each other.. there are 'canned' devices out there. I bought one by silverleaf electronics called a VMSpc. that pulls engine data from the J1708 connector on my 444E and displays it.. I built some hardware devices to help my engine and transmission speak to each other after I upgraded my transmission.. I have some more work to do for my in-dash (dual) panels im working on.. ive got real time data on 2 tablets now that works great using as mentioned a mix of pieces, parts, software that I bought and wrote..

the scangauge D is your lowest cost option for grabbing and displaying data.. . VMSpc is around $400 i think now.. and you need a windows tablet to run it on .. it works good but is missing some parameters.. its manufacturer and high came to an impasse when he claimed the data wasnt being sent but I proved it was.. they didnt want ot change their software.. still a nice device though and I'll use it till my new one is finished.

if you can write software you can buy a J1708 to serial device that you can then write your own software for the display portion. a raspberry pi with a touch screen and a couple programs in php or pythion and you are rocking.. not sure how tech savvy you are?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:12 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: '95
Coachwork: Thomas Vista
Chassis: International 3600
Engine: T444/at545
Rated Cap: 72? 11 window...
Just happened on this thread, im on good terms with a very top notch coder who recently went freelance. Very professional guy. If anyone wants i could put you in touch, or send him a question or 30. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
xalv36963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by xalv36963 View Post
Just happened on this thread, im on good terms with a very top notch coder who recently went freelance. Very professional guy. If anyone wants i could put you in touch, or send him a question or 30. Thanks.
Oh, I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you posted his cell #, we wouldn't call too late at night.

Scangauge is best/only option for instant gratification and a serviceable display. It is nice to verify what the zany gauges show on these things.

Here is new one for $136/delivered

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 10.31.00 AM.png
Views:	33
Size:	502.7 KB
ID:	18753
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:41 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: '95
Coachwork: Thomas Vista
Chassis: International 3600
Engine: T444/at545
Rated Cap: 72? 11 window...
Ah how do you like that device? I can look up its features, but does it do what its supposed to? Hows the construction quality?

I also happened on a free android app in the google playstore called uh itrace by abts tech or something. It was free and claimed to do the right stuff, but it looked sketchy as heck frankly and got terrible reviews...

If my freind can provide a quality program i will definitaly start a thread to let people know. He tends to move like molasses but finish with great work...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
xalv36963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:48 AM   #8
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalv36963 View Post
Ah how do you like that device? I can look up its features, but does it do what its supposed to? Hows the construction quality?

I also happened on a free android app in the google playstore called uh itrace by abts tech or something. It was free and claimed to do the right stuff, but it looked sketchy as heck frankly and got terrible reviews...

If my freind can provide a quality program i will definitaly start a thread to let people know. He tends to move like molasses but finish with great work...
It works great, no issues. screen is underwhelming, but data is accurate. I suggest buying this BEFORE buying a bus. It's that nice of a tool. How many people are driving home and gauges crap-out? One guy had to stop at Cummins and got fleeced where a few autozone gauges would suffice.

It is very unusual for a programmer to be behind on a project.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:51 AM   #9
Traveling

BB Electronics = zero support

I just want to shout-out at another company that offers these Vehicle Interface Adapters:

BB-Electronics-- Suuuucks. They just got bought out and are complete $%^$% to deal with.

https://buy.advantech-bb.com/Compare...00A3,BB-HD3-A3
Old 01-31-2018, 01:41 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
I want one of Christopher's tablet displays for my bus
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:21 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Engine: t444E
Rated Cap: 210HP 28,000 GVRW
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the protocol is different.. a lot different.. a converter "cable" needs to be something that also processes the data as well.. the data points, and how they are calculated are different .. J1939 and J1708 are different from each other.. there are 'canned' devices out there. I bought one by silverleaf electronics called a VMSpc. that pulls engine data from the J1708 connector on my 444E and displays it.. I built some hardware devices to help my engine and transmission speak to each other after I upgraded my transmission.. I have some more work to do for my in-dash (dual) panels im working on.. ive got real time data on 2 tablets now that works great using as mentioned a mix of pieces, parts, software that I bought and wrote..

the scangauge D is your lowest cost option for grabbing and displaying data.. . VMSpc is around $400 i think now.. and you need a windows tablet to run it on .. it works good but is missing some parameters.. its manufacturer and high came to an impasse when he claimed the data wasnt being sent but I proved it was.. they didnt want ot change their software.. still a nice device though and I'll use it till my new one is finished.

if you can write software you can buy a J1708 to serial device that you can then write your own software for the display portion. a raspberry pi with a touch screen and a couple programs in php or pythion and you are rocking.. not sure how tech savvy you are?

-Christopher
Thanks for the reply Hey are you..."eldaradoboy..."? Aka
AT545 to a 1000?

I have been interested in rasberry pi for a couple of years. If Python by itself can get it then, I am willing to learn it.
godisgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
j1708, j1939, obdii, scangauge, t444e