Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2022, 10:39 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
So I switched out my headlights with a direct plug-n-play light and noticed my cruise control was spotty. Do you believe this could be fixed with the inline load resistor fix for the brake lights. You also have to keep the switch pulled to on or else they hyper flash.
If you only changed headlights, it is highly unlikely that a load resistor on the headlights will fix the problem. If you changed any of the brake lights for LEDs, then a load resistor might help. You would need to identify the cruise control's brake circuit and verify whether there are LEDs on that path. If so, it should help.

Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:42 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Hi folks, hope all are doing well!! Iím going to Install 4 led spot lights, (DC-9-30 V) 2 in front and 2 in the back as work lights or just to Light up The area as we pack or unpack. The challenge Iím having is trying to figure out if I need any resistors or relays to Prevent burning up the switch and or bus.
Back in the day I burnt up a few switches and wires after I connecting the switch directly to the car battery. Now theses were not LEDs. Maybe that being the difference Thank you very much my friends!!
Take care and be safe!!
Rustynails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:23 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Depends on the amp rating of the switch. A safer system used by kenworth uses a relay to power the lamps but move the switch from the control (positive) to the ground side of the relay. Switches last forever and cannot cause a fire from shorting out
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:24 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: B600 Ward
Engine: 6.6 liter diesel
Thank your for that valuable information.
Bus21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:21 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

So I think I understand. I take a hot wire directly from the batteries to the lights. Then take a ground wire from the other side of the lights to a switch then the ground side of the batteries or the frame of the bus.
Does this eliminate the need for a resistor/relay? What size amp switch should I be using? And finally, where I’m I putting the fuse, on the hot or ground side?
Thank you very much!!!
Rustynails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:50 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynails View Post
So I think I understand. I take a hot wire directly from the batteries to the lights.
NO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynails View Post
Then take a ground wire from the other side of the lights to a switch then the ground side of the batteries or the frame of the bus.
NO

You take a large gauge wire, size calculated by TOTAL amperage to be on the circuit. Fuse the wire at the battery and run it to where the light will be installed BUT DO NOT connect it to the light.
That power wire connects to the hot side of the relay and is jumpered to the hot switching side of the relay.
On the ground switching side of the relay you run a ground wire to your switch and then ground.
The switched output terminal of the relay then goes to the light and the light is grounded to chassis or back to the battery.

This arrangement allows a smaller gauge wire and lower capacity switch to turn the light on and off while the large gauge feeding the lamp carries power more efficiently.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
NO

NO

You take a large gauge wire, size calculated by TOTAL amperage to be on the circuit. Fuse the wire at the battery and run it to where the light will be installed BUT DO NOT connect it to the light.
That power wire connects to the hot side of the relay and is jumpered to the hot switching side of the relay.
On the ground switching side of the relay you run a ground wire to your switch and then ground.
The switched output terminal of the relay then goes to the light and the light is grounded to chassis or back to the battery.

This arrangement allows a smaller gauge wire and lower capacity switch to turn the light on and off while the large gauge feeding the lamp carries power more efficiently.
Yes use a relay
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 04:45 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Replacing your clearance lights with LED lights is doable, and it's a popular upgrade for many vehicle owners. LED lights are more energy-efficient and tend to last longer than traditional bulbs. In most cases, you can swap out the old bulbs for LED ones without needing any extra modules or complicated installations. Just choose LED lights that are compatible with your vehicle's make and model to ensure a smooth upgrade.

If you're passionate about DIY projects, especially those involving lighting, you might want to check https://leds.to/. This website offers many articles and information on light bulbs, light sources, LEDs, and more. It can be a great source of advice and inspiration from someone experienced.
frxmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 03:04 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird/International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 66
Led lights

A PARTS WAREHOUSE...THE PLACE TO GO! I found just about everything thing to upgrade my bus lights.

[url]www.apartswarehouse.com
Wuzabus is offline   Reply With Quote