Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2022, 08:02 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: B600 Ward
Engine: 6.6 liter diesel
LED Lighting

Can the clearance lights be replaced with LED lights or does it require some sort of extra module? Thanks

Bus21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:15 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
You can swap in LEDs for the clearance lights and identification lamps (the trios of lights on the front and rear roof caps) with no problem. Turn signals are a different matter.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:37 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for the information.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Some times the cruise control will quit when you convert the brake lights to LED.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:58 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for that heads up!!!
Old 04-13-2022, 03:02 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
look at partsam on amazon.
thats where i got all of mine.
and i have also found a parts book at orielly that has them but at over double the cost of partsam
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 03:08 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

thank you!
Old 04-13-2022, 03:37 PM   #8
Bus Nut

The turn signal/cruise control issue can be fixed by installing a load resistor inline with the LEDs.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...rning-fix/190/

The cruise issue may require the load resistor to be put on the 3rd high-mount brake light. On passenger cars the 3rd brake light is on its own circuit and some OEMs use this circuit for the cruise control. If the cruise control doesn't detect the correct resistance it assumes a fault in the system and won't let the cruise work.

But, don't use those stupid splicers as shown in the picture on the site. Splce it in correctly.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 04:43 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
BE AWARE

Many of the lights sold on Amazon, FleaBay, etc. ARE NOT DOT approved and are therefore illegal to install on your vehicle exterior.
Now, will that ever be a problem? Do you live in a state that requires inspections? It could be. Or you could be fine for years and suddenly find that one inspector that looks..... or you could never have an issue.
If you have stock lamps installed, simply replacing the bulb with an LED replacement will usually be a lot cheaper and keep the lamps DOT approved (as long as someone hasn't already put non DOT on).

ALSO, if you want LED turn signals, and install them, if the system doesn't flash or flashes too slow, you can obtain a flasher designed to operate with LED lamps so long as your vehicle uses a standard automotive type flasher.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:42 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
check out the cob lites if you want leds. i get mine from superbrightled.com in Missouri.
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 07:37 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-14-2022, 10:32 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
I think it's wise to stick with lights common as OEM items on school buses... Trucklite, Sound-Off, Weldon, etc. They're reasonably priced, DOT approved, generally well-built, and in most cases getting just parts (gaskets / lenses / bases / etc) is just as easy as new light assemblies. Most 'Amazon' lights are essentially throw-aways, and you never know if what you bought today will be around tomorrow. We bought spare lenses, gaskets, & bulbs for all our markers... a failure/breakage is always 30-seconds away from being fixed.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:16 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Swapping turn signals or brake lights to LEDs can cause issues, and Veloc is right that you can fix it with an inline load resistor; because there is often a 'computer' or detection circuit that is expecting a certain amount of resistance based on the OE lamp resistance to electrical flow. LEDs have much less resistance, as they consume less power, and so the circuit reads this as having a lamp out (shorted, specifically), and can trigger problems with the cruise control, or problems with the flasher speed.

Inline load resistors correct the problem of what the circuit is expecting, but IMHO, a better solution is to 'correct' the circuit's expected load resistance through changing your flasher/brake relay to one designed to accommodate LED lamps. I know Bosch makes a few for older equipment that worked well for me.

Regarding simple marker lights, they are essentially a 'dumb load' that is there for safety purposes, and outside of some kind of high-tech solution to trigger a warning light or a computer message, you can easily replace them with whatever you like with no problems.

HAMSkoolie is right though about the DOT approval... While I largely don't care what the gubbermint says is acceptable or not, those rules were created for a safety reason, and the DOT approval stamp just generally means that they were designed to handle some expected bumps, jostles, scraping, and rock-flinging that more generic Chinesium components probably won't live up to. And especially with marker lights, I don't really feel like climbing up there every 6 months or so to check/change components out. I'd rather drop $500 on some kind of mil-spec lights that I only have to install once, and then maybe change a bulb/lamp/LED every 5/10/20 years.

Going with something like TruckLite or Weldon like TheHubbardBus suggested is probably the best bet. I know TruckLite at least carries OEM-styled LED conversion kits that are only marginally (~30 sec to 5 min) more difficult to install than changing the Original Equipment bulbs.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:28 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you!
Old 04-14-2022, 03:37 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
the partsam lights i bought have the DOT stamp on them?
another common light manufacturer is GROTE
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:00 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
the partsam lights i bought have the DOT stamp on them?
another common light manufacturer is GROTE
Some Partsam lights do indeed state they are DOT approved. Some don't. They might be DOT approved but they might not be if they don't specifically state they are.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 04-14-2022, 08:22 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
I think it's wise to stick with lights common as OEM items on school buses... Trucklite, Sound-Off, Weldon, etc. They're reasonably priced, DOT approved, generally well-built, and in most cases getting just parts (gaskets / lenses / bases / etc) is just as easy as new light assemblies. Most 'Amazon' lights are essentially throw-aways, and you never know if what you bought today will be around tomorrow. We bought spare lenses, gaskets, & bulbs for all our markers... a failure/breakage is always 30-seconds away from being fixed.
I'd go so far as to say that if you're changing out all your exterior lamps go with something that has been around for a long time and is available in just about any truck stop. If you want LED just swap out the bulbs with LED ones.
Old 04-20-2022, 03:33 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Got my led clearance lights from Kenworth. Many years ago.
What you be asking is: How do you connect the ground terminal?
Is the ground terminal attached to one of the mounting screw holes or is it a wire that has to be attached to the bus body? The former is easier to install than the latter.

I am not sure if this is clear......
Johnthebusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 03:36 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
as other have said Superbrightled.com

that is where I got mine too but it is 1 mile from where I work so no shipping

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ctor/607/1849/
Gorzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:54 PM   #20

Head lights as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Some times the cruise control will quit when you convert the brake lights to LED.
So I switched out my headlights with a direct plug-n-play light and noticed my cruise control was spotty. Do you believe this could be fixed with the inline load resistor fix for the brake lights. You also have to keep the switch pulled to on or else they hyper flash.
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote