Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2021, 09:21 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Led strip lights

Does anyone have experience with these?

I want to use either warm/cold white strips or rgb-w strips and I’d like to have 4 “zones” controlled independently for my bedroom, reading bench, kitchen and bathroom. Looking at wall mounted dimmer switches, I can’t see any with 4 zones that don’t require 120vac power. Doers anybody have any suggestions?

I’m also curious if I have two wall mounted switches, that talk to 4 different controllers, can those switches act like a traditional three way switch, switching and dimming the lights from two different positions?

Tawdbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:49 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
I used 24 vdc Led strip lights. I purchased the aluminum tracks and lense assemblies to make them more permanent. I also used the Dimmer glass touch panel controls that mount in standard electrical boxes.

I divided the bus into zones such as living room, kitchen, laundry, shower/closet area and installed a control for each zone.

I purchased the non color changing strips which are much brighter than the color changing ones and chose the warmer color(I’m glad I did). They are really excellent for lighting and I use them constantly.

I don’t think the glass touch panel controls have the ability to control from more than one location.

Bill
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:10 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
We've used both 12V and 24V strips from SuperBrightLEDs and have been very happy with them, but we've not done anything as complex as what you're asking about. They do have a bunch of multi-channel controllers, but that's way above our heads or needs...so I can't say if that will help you. But I've found them to be very helpful...more helpful than I am...so I'd urge you to call them. I highly recommend them.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...llers-dimmers/
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:07 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
We have the RGB ones for fun lights to entertain the kids....once , or twice.. haha.

They are not very efficient. Most cut to length strip lights have 3 or 4 led in series with then a current limiting resistor. With other words they dissipate about half of there electrical input into heat. The heat is spread out over the length of the strip so it is not very noticable except for your battery life.

I am sure in the more expensive categories they have switch mode or pwm current limitation. That would have a much higher efficiency.

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote