Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2023, 04:24 PM   #1

Left Turn Signal (body and rear) not working!

Hi all,
I have a 2005 GMC Savana 3500 Thomas Minotaur, that we recently acquired and are just starting to start our conversion. One issue I canít resolve is these turn signals. The right side works fine, blinks normally, for front, body, and rear. The left side front flashes quickly (and on the dash), but the body and rear are completely unresponsive.

I have checked and replaced all bulbs, with no luck. Putting a multi-meter shows no voltage. Iíve checked the fuses and relays (in spite of all the others working), and all checks out fine.

I removed the the swing-out stop sign when we acquired it (to prevent getting stopped by PD), and I donít know if that had any impact, but tested that thoroughly as well.

There are 4 leads for the stop sign; a red, white, black, and green. Thinking that there may be a connection there, I grounded the black, and nothing. The front safety swing arm was also removed.

Iíve got at least 6 hours in troubleshooting with nothing to show for it, and Iím losing my mind! Iím not electrically incompetent, but nowhere close to what I would call experienced.

If anyone has any ideas, Iíd be most appreciative! Thank you for reading, and sorry for the novel.

Newbskooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 05:39 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
There was another thread that sounds exactly like yours only a month or two ago. You might try searching for it. IDK the outcome.

When I hear no turn signal and the bulbs are good, my mind automatically goes to Flasher Module
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 09:25 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
not the flasher as it feeds both sides . when you tested for voltage did you ground your test lite on a lite that might have a bad ground? i use a long jumper wire and always test my ground after i find the lite dont work . very possible to be the switch would where i would look next. test the wires that come out of the switch after confirming the ground is good
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 09:29 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

also the swing out stop sine was on a completely different circuit with a different flasher (alternating relay) and has no effect on flashers. what happens when you put 4ways on?
Old 11-13-2023, 11:42 AM   #5
Bus Geek

I have an 07 Minotaur on an Express body. I had a turn signal problem that had me convinced it was the switch in the steering column.

I’d switch the run signal - nothing
I’d switch the turn signal fast - it works

Eventually that theory didn’t pan out and it was the flasher module under the dash.

Before you say that the right side works and therefore it’s good, consider that it’s a multi-circuit device so part can be bad and other parts work
Old 11-13-2023, 11:56 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Mmoore is right about checking grounds and the first thing Thomas would tell you
Old 11-13-2023, 02:40 PM   #7

Tested ground in a couple locations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
not the flasher as it feeds both sides . when you tested for voltage did you ground your test lite on a lite that might have a bad ground? i use a long jumper wire and always test my ground after i find the lite dont work . very possible to be the switch would where i would look next. test the wires that come out of the switch after confirming the ground is good
MMoore, thanks for your response. I tested the circuit on both the body side flasher and the rear, and no luck. I also have bare metal where the stop sign was installed that is immediately adjacent to the body flasher, and grounded there with gator clip, just in case, and still no luck.

I did find that on the right side, the side flasher has no impact on the blink speed or functionality of the rear flasher, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I did not try grounding the rear flasher to something other than the embedded ground.

When I put on the four-ways, I get solid flashing from the right side, and no response on the left side, except the front bumper signal.

Danjo, I did not realize that there was a flasher module under the dash, but I'll dig into that this evening when I get home.

Thank you both for your help, if there is anything else that you would recommend I try, I'm at the mercy of your expertise!
Old 11-13-2023, 03:41 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue-Bird All American RE
Chassis: F204270
Engine: Cummins 8.3 ISC
My two Bits, I had a short in the Tail flasher at the Bulb receptacle.

I had to put an insulator in where the Wire jacket had shrunk back.
jfmusic@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 07:15 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quick flashing blinkers is often times related to a bad relay. Identify your blinker relay for the side flashing fast, and replace it. It's like $5-10 at any local auto shop. Plug and play, test.

It can happen if you wire it up incorrectly like what would happen on a trailer, but unlikely on a pre-made vehicle.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 09:25 PM   #10

Checked the relays, still no luck.

Nikitis, I checked all the relays with no luck, that was my first guess, but not so easy, unfortunately. I ended up replacing it just in case.

JFMusic: did you have to remove the housing to get to it? When removing the cover, I only see the socket for the bulb, and the ground is a metal plate that extends from the socket to one of the mount screws.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-13-2023, 09:33 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Maybe undo one of the ground screw for the light tie a wire to it and ground it somewhere else to see if there is a change in behaviour, while the blinker is on that is.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:41 AM   #12

Connect ground elsewhere

Nikitis, thatís a great idea, Iím doing that today.

Will attempting to connect another ground elsewhere with gator clipped wire be sufficient? Or do I need a more solid connection?

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2023, 06:48 AM   #13

Danjo, where was the flasher module under the dash on yours?

More specifically, did you have to pull off the dash front or was it accessible from the bottom?

Also, did you remove or reconfigure your the fuse/relay panel? I would love to get rid of most of mine, as with the swing arm, stop sign removed, no lift or lift door, I don’t need a lot of it.

Thankfully, I haven’t had the “Vandalock/No Child Left Behind” starting issues, but I’m a little concerned that if I start pulling out parts I might.

I was able to pull the circuit for the buzzer that is in the panel, so I don’t have to listen to it, but I think that the start interlock has been somehow disabled, as even with the alarm going off, it will still start without any issues.

I’ll post a photo of the panel as soon as I can.

Also, you guys are great, thanks again for your help, I owe you all a coffee (at a minimum)!
Old 11-14-2023, 09:47 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue-Bird All American RE
Chassis: F204270
Engine: Cummins 8.3 ISC
On mine , pulled the lense from the rubber seal. Pulled the bulb . Then released the socket.wire was still attached . I had to push in on the center spring load to shove the wire back. Which is where I spotted the jacket had shrunk back.
jfmusic@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 11:45 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbskooler View Post
Danjo, where was the flasher module under the dash on yours?

More specifically, did you have to pull off the dash front or was it accessible from the bottom?

Also, did you remove or reconfigure your the fuse/relay panel? I would love to get rid of most of mine, as with the swing arm, stop sign removed, no lift or lift door, I don’t need a lot of it.

Thankfully, I haven’t had the “Vandalock/No Child Left Behind” starting issues, but I’m a little concerned that if I start pulling out parts I might.

I was able to pull the circuit for the buzzer that is in the panel, so I don’t have to listen to it, but I think that the start interlock has been somehow disabled, as even with the alarm going off, it will still start without any issues.

I’ll post a photo of the panel as soon as I can.

Also, you guys are great, thanks again for your help, I owe you all a coffee (at a minimum)!
I have an Express. I always thought they are pretty much the same vehicle, so hopefully I can help. On my Express it’s down low on the right side of the steering column. I didn’t have to remove anything on mine to get to it, but you might have some trim to pull off. I don’t think I needed any tools to do it.

If my bus had Vandalock they had removed it or disabled it prior to selling. I haven’t had any problems. The only electrical modifications I did were removing the No Child Left Behind switch/screamer at the back of the bus, removing the 7 way flasher module and the power cable for the wheelchair lift. Otherwise I didn’t remove/reconfigure anything and I usually try to dissuade people from stripping wire due to unexpected outcomes. Anyway, it was plug and play as if you just have a Chevy van.

I have schematics for my 07 which might be the same as your bus
Old 11-14-2023, 04:15 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
my shop manual covers every express from 98-2010 so wiring should be the same except different engine wiring requirements.
body wiring didnt change much if at all. of course different bus body manufacturers might have change some bus body stuff but the same points still exist for chevy van.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 08:36 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

you need to go to the first connector by the bottom of your steering column and find the wire(s) for the left side (might be 2 as front and rear are sometimes separate) and probe those wires to see if it works there. if no ts the switch if yes its another bad connection downstream
Old 11-15-2023, 01:17 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbskooler View Post
Nikitis, thatís a great idea, Iím doing that today.

Will attempting to connect another ground elsewhere with gator clipped wire be sufficient? Or do I need a more solid connection?

Thanks!
Gator clip is fine. Just as long as there is continuity on your extended ground test.
Old 11-15-2023, 09:52 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
you need to go to the first connector by the bottom of your steering column and find the wire(s) for the left side (might be 2 as front and rear are sometimes separate) and probe those wires to see if it works there. if no ts the switch if yes its another bad connection downstream
At this point I would agree, this is the best way to approach your issue.
Find the source of the signal and work your way to the back of the bus!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 06:10 PM   #20

Losing my mindÖ

All,
Thanks for your help with this, I’m so appreciative. If I can ever get this resolved, I’ll post to confirm (it drives me crazy when folks forget that)!

I’ve attached a couple photos here, from what I’ve attempted. I tested the circuit in the back, grounding out on a bolt I confirmed as a good ground, and nothing. No indication of power at all.

To be sure, but pulled the side marker as well, and it’s the same thing. I disassembled the dash, which was awful (also for another project), and I’m not sure how to tell where/what the flasher relay is.

Danjo, if you could share your wiring, I would be eternally grateful. Thank you!

Tags
blinker, electrical, gmc savana, thomas 2005, turn signal