Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2022, 05:31 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
Going back to your first two photos-- it appears to me that all this is is two large diodes in parallel, with the anodes connected to ground. In this arrangement, any positive voltage with respect to vehicle ground would see and open circuit, and any voltage lower than vehicle ground wound see a very low impedance path to ground. You can see the symbol for the diodes on the back of the small PC board, the arrow part is the anode, and the line it points to is the cathode. I am fairly confident that the stripe around the diode is the cathode end. I would suspect something like 50 PIV and 5 to 10 amps each might work. What part this plays I have no idea, to snub some kind of negative transient, or??? My point is that you can "roll your own" if when you install this it immediately burns up again. It could be one of the diodes failed shorted and that was its demise...

PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 01:32 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
ok got over to the motor T school and the new hummers are not the same as yours.
as ham said in the older days 54c is a fuel solenoid and according to my wise old wizzard 54c was a radio noise eliminator which explains the diodes.
so you have an old deleted probably cut out radio system that was cut out and something is grounding somewhere.
my old trucks have the noise eleminator directly on the ignition coil bracket but they are back before the computer days.
does your hummer have a computer?
i was a grunt but always tried to keep up with mechanics because i was a texas farm boy and almost certified mechanic before i joined but as a combat marine then i wanted to know what makes it run other than its mucked lets move on.
i always thought i could make anything run?
now i dont want anything in my garage above 96.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 01:52 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
HUH? The PRC7 was THE radio when I was in. Awesome unless you had to carry it. Then it had two major drawbacks. One it was HEAVY and you got to carry it AND your gear, and of course a spare battery. Two, it somehow denied the laws of physics and magnetism and could attract non ferrous metals in great quantity. Lead and copper were the two it was best at as I remember.

Ya never wanted to be 1) the guy carrying the radio, 2) the guy not carrying the radio but talking into the handset (never look important on the battlefield), and 3) standing near the guy with the radio or the handset.
yes sir i am late on this one?
prc77 was the radio and i also carried the singar as well as the extra batteries and sometimes the mortar tube or base plate because a man twisted an ankle.
some of that was coming down MT. FUJI and with at the time was lt colonel conway.
also worked with mr. mattis
Old 05-15-2022, 02:02 PM   #24
Bus Geek

i used to say pric E 7 until i was one? years ago?
what are we now?
prepared to call BS
Old 05-15-2022, 09:07 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
... ...according to my wise old wizzard, 54c was a radio noise eliminator which explains the diodes. ... ...
Hi, Jolly Roger! Please allow me to complete that sentence for you:
"...as another old wiseacre tried to tell us a week ago."

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:19 AM   #26
Almost There

Year: 1998
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: 3126 Caterpillar
Rated Cap: 84 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
ok got over to the motor T school and the new hummers are not the same as yours.
as ham said in the older days 54c is a fuel solenoid and according to my wise old wizzard 54c was a radio noise eliminator which explains the diodes.
so you have an old deleted probably cut out radio system that was cut out and something is grounding somewhere.
my old trucks have the noise eleminator directly on the ignition coil bracket but they are back before the computer days.
does your hummer have a computer?
i was a grunt but always tried to keep up with mechanics because i was a texas farm boy and almost certified mechanic before i joined but as a combat marine then i wanted to know what makes it run other than its mucked lets move on.
i always thought i could make anything run?
now i dont want anything in my garage above 96.
My Humvee is a 2008 M1123 so it, at the very least, has a basic computer brain. It did have some sort of radio equipment in it but whatever it was got stripped out before it was sold to us at auction. It DID come with this crazy huge AC system that I'm trying to figure out how it originally mounted in a soft roof Humvee.
CritiqueThisBus is offline   Reply With Quote