Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-08-2022, 03:42 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Tempe, Arizona
Posts: 68
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: 3126 Caterpillar
Rated Cap: 84 person
Lets play...Name This Cable!

Aloha All.

You guys have been awesome so far in providing info and/or sources to diagnose problems I've had and I'm hoping all of you electrical engineers and techies can come to the rescue once again.

1St...this is not for my Bus. I have a 2008 M1123 Humvee with a Detroit Diesel 6.5l naturally aspirated V8. I went to start it the other day and there was a puff of smoke from the engine compartment and no cranking. I disconnected the batteries then dived in to inspect the damage and found this wire that I never noticed before. It's thoroughly cooked.

It comes out of the wiring harness next to the Glow Plug controller that is screwed in to the cross-over pipe. One end plugs in to the wire from the harness and the other end is grounded to a big metal bracket over the engine that holds a window washer fluid bottle.

In the wire was shrink wrapped a weird circuit board with a diode on it. There's no part number. No name on the chip. And for the life of me I have never seen a ground wire with an inline circuit board before. There is a military number tag on the wire that this wire plugs in to and it reads 54 C but there's no 54 C that I could fine in the Tech Manual. I've watched about 20 videos on Y/T of humvees with electrical or starting issues and none of them have that wire. I'm stumped.

Can you guys help? If I can't have this post on here because it's not a Bus, let me know and I'll remove it but hopefully one of you guys can at least point me in the right direction in a DM.

Below is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2983.JPG   IMG_2989.JPG  

CritiqueThisBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:42 AM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Suburbs of Winterset, OH
Posts: 428
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
Complete guess here...
Could that be a fusible link?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAF
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:43 AM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Suburbs of Winterset, OH
Posts: 428
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
sorry, duplicate post??
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:39 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Tempe, Arizona
Posts: 68
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: 3126 Caterpillar
Rated Cap: 84 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
Complete guess here...
Could that be a fusible link?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAF
That was my original thought but I never seen a fuse that was a microchip. That's why I was hoping one of the Tech Overlords that reside here would have an idea before I replace this wire with something that's incorrect and my poor vehicle goes burning to the ground on the next start up.
CritiqueThisBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:31 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
Elliot Naess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clearlake, Northern California
Posts: 2,503
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Wild guess: This cable might be intended to reduce radio interference.

Not so wild: All your cranking amperage went thru it because the proper grounding between the starter/engine and the battery is corroded or missing.
It is all too common that an amateur mechanic fails to reconnect a ground strap. I once saw the throttle linkage on a car glow red hot while cranking.
__________________

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:47 PM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 2,213
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
do you have a mil spec govt. hummer or the civillan version?
you mentioned mil spec lable on that wire.
let me know i work on a military base and can drop by the motor pool or diesel school and ask the mechanics.
i just spent 6 months rebuilding the dyno machine at the diesel school and replacing a compressed air system in one the motor pools directly across the road from another reno job i have.
so the mechanics and upper knowledge is already used to me being around and asking question especially at the school when i got into the classroom with every diesel motor they had a cut away version and a full breakdown/rebuild trainer for each.
just saying if its mil spec then i can get mil spec answers.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 05:11 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
HamSkoolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 998
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Those little white triangles on the green PC board with the white line across the point of the triangle are the schematic symbol for a DIODE So you've got side by side diodes in a cable. It looks like a coaxial type cable (center conductor with a shield (based on what I can see of the plug connector.


It also looks seriously fried by an overload which wouldn't normally occur on a coaxial cable as they're generally used to carry RF energy for a radio or to shield a fairly low voltage signal in the center conductor.


Try to trace it out to a component, label with identifying numbers, etc.
__________________
YouTube: HAMSkoolie WEB: HAMSkoolie.com
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:30 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Tempe, Arizona
Posts: 68
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: 3126 Caterpillar
Rated Cap: 84 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
do you have a mil spec govt. hummer or the civillan version?
you mentioned mil spec lable on that wire.
let me know i work on a military base and can drop by the motor pool or diesel school and ask the mechanics.
i just spent 6 months rebuilding the dyno machine at the diesel school and replacing a compressed air system in one the motor pools directly across the road from another reno job i have.
so the mechanics and upper knowledge is already used to me being around and asking question especially at the school when i got into the classroom with every diesel motor they had a cut away version and a full breakdown/rebuild trainer for each.
just saying if its mil spec then i can get mil spec answers.
JR,

This is a decommissioned M1123 Marine Humvee. It has the armor, the fording kit and the communications array all removed then put up for auction.

54 C is on the wire this ground wire plugs in to. I pulled out a magnifying glass and spent some time gently scrubbing the wire to remove the crud on it and I found - 5961-01-180-5634 on a sticker wrapped around the wire covered in black goo.It fell apart as I was trying to get a picture of it but I did write it down before it disintegrated to join the great spirits in the afterlife.

Does this help you identify it?
CritiqueThisBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:34 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Tempe, Arizona
Posts: 68
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: 3126 Caterpillar
Rated Cap: 84 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Those little white triangles on the green PC board with the white line across the point of the triangle are the schematic symbol for a DIODE So you've got side by side diodes in a cable. It looks like a coaxial type cable (center conductor with a shield (based on what I can see of the plug connector.


It also looks seriously fried by an overload which wouldn't normally occur on a coaxial cable as they're generally used to carry RF energy for a radio or to shield a fairly low voltage signal in the center conductor.


Try to trace it out to a component, label with identifying numbers, etc.
It plugs in to a wire that has a metal tag on it marked 54 C
THAT wire disappears in to a wiring harness directly behind the Glow Plug controller unit which then goes off in to a covered harness of octopus spaghetti madness.
CritiqueThisBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:27 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
HamSkoolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 998
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
I misread the OP. Sorry.


GEORGE


I say we name him George and we love him and take good care of him and ..... oh wait I digress to childhood.


I was Motor T for some time in the Corps (before that Hummer was built) but have been to formal HMMWV maintenance school and "owned" a dozen of them in my motor pool. Yes MINE, I was signed for those puppies personally.



5961-01-180-5634 certainly helps. It is the National Stock Number (NSN) and if it has an NSN you can look it up.


Here's the scoop:
https://www.iso-group.com/NSN/5961-01-180-5634
__________________
YouTube: HAMSkoolie WEB: HAMSkoolie.com
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:31 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Tempe, Arizona
Posts: 68
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: 3126 Caterpillar
Rated Cap: 84 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
I misread the OP. Sorry.


GEORGE


I say we name him George and we love him and take good care of him and ..... oh wait I digress to childhood.


I was Motor T for some time in the Corps (before that Hummer was built) but have been to formal HMMWV maintenance school and "owned" a dozen of them in my motor pool. Yes MINE, I was signed for those puppies personally.



5961-01-180-5634 certainly helps. It is the National Stock Number (NSN) and if it has an NSN you can look it up.


Here's the scoop:
https://www.iso-group.com/NSN/5961-01-180-5634

You all DOTH ROCKETH!

It took 76 hours of enduring the burning battery smell of the brains of 4 " experts " on the Humvee to get me exactly...BUPKISS on this wire.

I post here to you guys and less than 24 hours later I not only got the info on the wire but possible sources to get one from.

I'm not crying..... I have something in my eye. STOP LOOKING AT ME! I'm not crying.
CritiqueThisBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:04 PM   #12
Bus Nut
 
HamSkoolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 998
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Circuit 54 is fuel cutoff circuit but I can see the fuel solenoid and it has it's cable and fuel line attached.


The C I'm not sure but I'm looking at some schematics now.


https://olive-drab.com/od_mseries_circuits.php
__________________
YouTube: HAMSkoolie WEB: HAMSkoolie.com
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:08 PM   #13
Bus Crazy
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 2,213
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i just saw your response and if ham cant come up with it i will try to get by motor T this week.
give me a few days? its already been a crazy week.
but i have a govt inspection across the road from motor T in the morning so i should be able to go there during my lunch minute ( break) type thing.
on it.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:18 PM   #14
Bus Nut
 
HamSkoolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 998
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
i just saw your response and if ham cant come up with it i will try to get by motor T this week.
give me a few days? its already been a crazy week.
but i have a govt inspection across the road from motor T in the morning so i should be able to go there during my lunch minute ( break) type thing.
on it.

I haven't found anything other than "fill this out for a quote"
__________________
YouTube: HAMSkoolie WEB: HAMSkoolie.com
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 02:43 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Tempe, Arizona
Posts: 68
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: 3126 Caterpillar
Rated Cap: 84 person
Excelsior!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
I haven't found anything other than "fill this out for a quote"
I did some interweb searching based on the NSN number and found Riverside MFG....the company that made the wire for AM General.

They couldn't give me any technical data on it because that info belongs to AM General and the Military but they did give me the updated NSN Number AND AM General's in-house number for it.

Armed with THOSE numbers I found out that two companies still make the wire. KASCAR in the US and GLOBEWorks in Germany.

I gave KASCAR a call and should have 2 wires coming next week. Getting a spare in case this ever happens again. I guess NOW the mission is...find out what caused the wire-fry in the first place.

Ham, J/R...all of you...Thank you VERY much!!
Attached Thumbnails
diode-wiring-harness-hmmwv-humvee-m998.jpg  
CritiqueThisBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:14 PM   #16
Bus Nut
 
HamSkoolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 998
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
AWESOME



and apparently you need 10 letters to be sent. LOL
__________________
YouTube: HAMSkoolie WEB: HAMSkoolie.com
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:23 PM   #17
Bus Crazy
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 2,213
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
cool
the young mechanics at the motor T didnt know and we looked at a hummer they already had open and couldnt find the diode but all of there stuff is newish. they didnt want to open up that wire loom to much because they were already on a schedule to get that one back in service.
havent had time this week to get over to the wiser/old wizards at the school.
but now i have 54c stuck in my head until i can at least help you figure out what voltage it should have and what would happen to fry it.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:24 PM   #18
Bus Crazy
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 2,213
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i bank on an old school radio noise eliminator and not an am/fm radio.
back then they used the pric e7 and the singar?
they were prc 7.
true name might be classified but its so old tech.
everything i looked at today makes me want to go back to the school ever more.
even if just to ask your question.
always cools to go see the latest and greatest engine and tranny.
when i rebuilt there dyno last year i made sure i was there for there highest rpm motor and ther highest torque motor.
two different animals.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:35 PM   #19
Bus Nut
 
HamSkoolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 998
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
i bank on an old school radio noise eliminator and not an am/fm radio.
back then they used the pric e7 and the singar?
they were prc 7.
true name might be classified but its so old tech.
everything i looked at today makes me want to go back to the school ever more.
even if just to ask your question.
always cools to go see the latest and greatest engine and tranny.
when i rebuilt there dyno last year i made sure i was there for there highest rpm motor and ther highest torque motor.
two different animals.

HUH? The PRC7 was THE radio when I was in. Awesome unless you had to carry it. Then it had two major drawbacks. One it was HEAVY and you got to carry it AND your gear, and of course a spare battery. Two, it somehow denied the laws of physics and magnetism and could attract non ferrous metals in great quantity. Lead and copper were the two it was best at as I remember.

Ya never wanted to be 1) the guy carrying the radio, 2) the guy not carrying the radio but talking into the handset (never look important on the battlefield), and 3) standing near the guy with the radio or the handset.
__________________
YouTube: HAMSkoolie WEB: HAMSkoolie.com
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:09 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 20
Year: 2007
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 29600
54C should be the fuel solenoid diode according to the book.
PoppaSmurff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.