Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2019, 11:19 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: International (I think)
Engine: Dt466e w/ Allison md3060
Rated Cap: 84, 35000 gvwr
Is there a chance the batteries don't get charged evenly like that? Or that one battery back charges another? I am just trying to figure out all the hardware I need to run these batteries safely, and stay within budget. Also our budget is 8k not including any rebates or federal programs. Does 8k seem close for this system if the two batteries are 3k the solar is about 2.4k ? That leaves 2.6k for mounting, wires, controllers, 4k watt inverter charger, and any other switches, etc. Before I start buying it all, I am trying to determine if it will be close to budget.

Thanks everybody��

AaronTSchultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
So the charge controller adjusts the power coming out of the panels and into the battery bank. What happens if the output is more than the BB?
What is an average span of wattage usage for a skoolie?
If out put is more than the BB how do yu reduced it, more batteries or fewer panels?
Some of the important parts needed for this system can't be figured out until you have all the appliances to plug.
My plan is one person, maybe 2. using the most efficient appliances I can. How much battery will I need? Is it possible to have an over kill system on output, but only use as little as you need?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Some charge controllers have the ability to limit current.

The Minute Classic, when coupled with the Whizbang Jr, has the ability to let you "overpanel" without the worry of boiling your batteries while still making all of the array current available to loads.

Others will simply limit array current and limit loads from taking full advantage of your array capacity.

I'm not sure if I described that well enough..... I understand what I am trying to say....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:40 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
Also, I'm sure you've seen this, but if not

MidNite Solar - Classic Sizing Tool.
Nice, this is just what I was looking for!
TurtlePaceBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:53 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Help a Friend with Midnite classic 150

So update to mine, I am fulling running 4 tesla batteries with all victron products and it is running like a gem. Auto voltage on off, and low voltage cutoff has all worked when triggered.

Now I am trying to help a friend with a weird problem. They have 3 solar arrays with 3 panels in each. so I guess 3 wired in series, and 3 series in parallel. Totalling about 2400 W between all of them. We noticed that when full sun, the midnite classic was limiting to about 1500W coming in. He has it running to 6 Lion Energy lithium batteries 12V 100AH wired in a 24V system.

Any guesses on why the controller is limiting to 1500W. We check each solar array and all were bringing in the 90+V they should have been bringing in. And the correct Amps And all wired connections were good.

Lastly he does have a victron 3000kva that has the ability to shore charge as well.

Any Ideas will be helpful.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTSchultz View Post
We noticed that when full sun, the midnite classic was limiting to about 1500W coming in.
What is the rating of the charge controller? Guessing that it is clipping off the excess.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:00 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTSchultz View Post
Now I am trying to help a friend with a weird problem. They have 3 solar arrays with 3 panels in each. so I guess 3 wired in series, and 3 series in parallel. Totalling about 2400 W between all of them. We noticed that when full sun, the midnite classic was limiting to about 1500W coming in. He has it running to 6 Lion Energy lithium batteries 12V 100AH wired in a 24V system.

Any guesses on why the controller is limiting to 1500W. We check each solar array and all were bringing in the 90+V they should have been bringing in. And the correct Amps And all wired connections were good.

Lastly he does have a victron 3000kva that has the ability to shore charge as well.

Any Ideas will be helpful.
There are a lot of unknowns here.

Has this issue been observed over a decent period of time or just recently?

What conditions did you measure in and for what period of time (time of day, sun intensity, temperature, etc).

When you say limited to 1500W is this fairly constant? Has this limit been observed at different states of charge, and can you or have you tested with a large load?

What is the current rating (output) of the Charge Controller

Could the charge controller have a current limiting function that was accidentally set?

When you say the array was bringing in the 'correct' amps and voltage it should have been, how did you measure and what were the specific voltage and current numbers.

How does that compare to the Vmp and Imp of the array

1500W / 2400W = 62.5% which is low but isn't completely outside the ballpark of what you might expect for real world PV harvest in unideal conditions.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl_ View Post
There are a lot of unknowns here.

Has this issue been observed over a decent period of time or just recently?

What conditions did you measure in and for what period of time (time of day, sun intensity, temperature, etc).

When you say limited to 1500W is this fairly constant? Has this limit been observed at different states of charge, and can you or have you tested with a large load?

What is the current rating (output) of the Charge Controller

Could the charge controller have a current limiting function that was accidentally set?

When you say the array was bringing in the 'correct' amps and voltage it should have been, how did you measure and what were the specific voltage and current numbers.

How does that compare to the Vmp and Imp of the array

1500W / 2400W = 62.5% which is low but isn't completely outside the ballpark of what you might expect for real world PV harvest in unideal conditions.
Great questions. Luckily I have my skoolie parked at the same property. Colorado in Bright sun, Midday.

Thinking through it again, the Voltage was correct coming from the solar panels, but the amperage was not measurable due to my cheap ammeter.

The solar charge controller is the midnite classic 150 which has a 96 amp output ability, 150V input ability and handles battery banks from 12V to 72V. My thought is that even with a 24V battery bank and a 96A output max, it should get close to 2400 W. at least over 2000W. It has been this way since they have been traveling. I was just hoping someone would have some information about the midnite classic 150 or the "lion energy" batteries. Maybe there is conflicting settings, as I believe the batteries have a maximum input amps of 100A. which would be about 1200 / battery. I wonder if there is a possibility of an amp limitation setting. I wish they were still here for me to do testing on it.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:11 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I don't have experience with either of those so no help there, sorry.

Have you tried running some large load (like air conditioning) while doing this testing? The idea being to ensure there is a power draw that the charge controller will attempt to fulfill.

Also, if the panels are flat mounted, I wouldn't expect more than 80% of rated output during the summer months (based on my observations). Obviously, that is more than 1500 watts but not over 2000.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:52 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

I wonder if it has to do with the way they have the panels wired? I'm a total newb when it comes to solar but my meager understanding is that input current will be limited by the weakest panel in the group. I believe I rember seeing a vid on solar on either Jarrod Tocci's or Will Prowse's YT channels. If it is Jarrod's video I believe it's one from about 4 weeks ago titled "Solar Panels -How they work and the differences..."
~GntlStone~ is offline   Reply With Quote