Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Lg combo washer/dryer single unit

https://m.lowes.com/pd/LG-4-3-cu-ft-...IaAowTEALw_wcB

Seeing if anyone has looked into these or used one. Thinking may go this route. Calls for 10amp. Seeing what you guys think.

Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I thought about one too, but all the reviews on pretty much anything ventless is that it takes hours to dry. My thought there was it's just alot of power to run for long. I've been looking at high efficiency stack units that I can maybe run on propane
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im not sure id want any kind of ventless dryer inside a bus.. in a home its not a huge deal, but in a bus, the moisture is going to be a big issue esp in winter time unless you can vent it.. at 10 amps it will take a long time to dry... a normal home clothes dryer is somewhere around 3000-4000 watts.. at 10 amps you likely have a 1000 watt heater and 200 watts for the motor / electronics..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I have the Kenmore 41003 4.5 cu. ft. Front-Load Combo Washer/Dryer. Sadly, it is still waiting for me to hook it up. It is my understanding these two machines are very similar, maybe even made by the same company (or that was the case with one of the LG machines - can't remember the exact model). That said, I am far from an expert and it is has been many months since I purchased mine so most of my research is probably lost due to low quality brain storage cells.

The research I did convinced me that these residential machines operate on a much higher level than the RV ventless dryers. I believe the term is Condenser Dryer. Basically, the dryer air is cooled in a heat exchanger to condense the moisture which is then dumped out the water drain hose. It must work pretty well as it seems these dryers are the norm in Europe and becoming much more common here in the USA.

An important bit for many of us is a washer/dryer that operates on 110VAC (versus 220AC). These do.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the TRUE condensing units.. (they are actually heat pumps.. ) work pretty good.. the ones that are terrible are the units that are conventional dryers and use a fan to blow ambient air over a pan and part of the heated air into the room.. the "condensing" pan on those was simply to catch the lint..

at 1000 watts this sounds like it may very well be a heat pump dryer..

the way it works is...

the evaporator and condensor are back to back.. the fan sucks the moist air from the drum and blows it over the cold evaporator coil .. that cold air is then blown over the condensor coil warming the air up ..

because the water is evaporated off the clothes, tending to cool the clothes down and then re - condensed on the cold coil the drum temperature doesnt get super hot.. in fact you dont want it to.. you need to cool that air below its dewpoint to remove the humidity..

cool stuff.. energy is simply "moved around"... with a little added from the motors..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:14 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Well found out that the "Life Is Joy" family has one and did a review on youtube. From what I read is the main problem people pack them full then let them dry. It has instructions to use about 1/2load to dry. I think its like JDOnthGo said I seen diagram it all stays contained and recycles back through. Still reading up on it but looking like this one will end up in our build. And probably house cause my washer is dying.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote