Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: N/A
Chassis: Chevy C30
Engine: 7.4L gas
Rated Cap: 14,000lbs
Looking for Portland/Salem area electrical install

Hi Skoolies!

I'm looking for someone to do the electrical installation on my bus in the Salem, or Portland OR area (or, I suppose, anywhere in between).

While I think I *could* figure it out myself, I'm only able to work on it on the weekends right now and I would rather it be moving along at a better pace.

Can anyone point me to qualified help? Local electricians won't even look at such an unconventional build.

ladybird_bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
What amount of electrical work are you talking about. solar? simple battery setup with shore power? 110v? 12v? inverters? I am not sure of anyone. I know the build can be slow. I usually only get 1 day a week to work on my bus. It has been painfully slow. I got it a year ago. My family just booked a beach trip and I requested to stay home that weekend so I can work on the bus. Last weekend was shot because I had to work OT on Saturday. Sunday was Easter so I was busy with the kiddos in the morning then the wife made me go car shopping as we bought a new Honda. I need bus time!

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:37 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
What amount of electrical work are you talking about. solar? simple battery setup with shore power? 110v? 12v? inverters? I am not sure of anyone. I know the build can be slow. I usually only get 1 day a week to work on my bus. It has been painfully slow. I got it a year ago. My family just booked a beach trip and I requested to stay home that weekend so I can work on the bus. Last weekend was shot because I had to work OT on Saturday. Sunday was Easter so I was busy with the kiddos in the morning then the wife made me go car shopping as we bought a new Honda. I need bus time!
12V and 110V, lithium batteries, inverter to run regular fridge and charge my laptop. Pretty simple. No solar for now - I just want to get it up and running asap.

But if you're not sure of anyone, it doesn't matter much about the details, does it? ;)
Old 04-23-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybird_bus View Post
12V and 110V, lithium batteries, inverter to run regular fridge and charge my laptop. Pretty simple. No solar for now - I just want to get it up and running asap.

But if you're not sure of anyone, it doesn't matter much about the details, does it? ;)
Probably not immediately relevant, but possibly good gouge for a qualified someone who meanders thru the thread later on...
Old 04-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
If it were simple enough, was hoping to encourage you to do the work yourself with guidance and encouragement from the forum to save you a few bucks if you were unable to find someone!!!

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:28 PM   #6
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
If it were simple enough, was hoping to encourage you to do the work yourself with guidance and encouragement from the forum to save you a few bucks if you were unable to find someone!!!

Thank you. I am reasonably sure that I could do it myself. It's an issue of time. I need the bus finished asap, but I run my own business and it's nuts right now. I can only work on the bus on the weekends, I haven't had a single day off in two months and I'm exhausted. It makes more sense to pay someone else to do the work (most likely faster and better than I could) during the five week days I can't be out there.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

How did the search go? I'm looking for someone to do the same thing you were looking for in the Portland area.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #8
Almost There

I wasn't able to find anyone willing to work on a bus and ended up selling that bus before I really got into the nitty-gritty of the electrics.

I hear there are a lot of knowledgeble folk at https://www.greenanchorspdx.com/ though and I know at least one skoolie owner doing her build there. Might be a good place to ask!
Old 08-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
How did the search go? I'm looking for someone to do the same thing you were looking for in the Portland area.

You may want to look into AM solar, I believe they are down in Eugene, not sure what all they do but they seem to cater to vehicle based systems for the semi-DIY and not-so-DIY crowd.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote