Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2022, 01:22 PM   #1

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: C7
lost my low beams

We were returning from a Camping trip to LA and we hit a rough spot in the road and the low beams went out. I switched to high beams and all 4 headlights were working. If I switch to DRL I have nothing. I checked my fuses all is good. I checked the wiring to the headlight switch all looked good there. The high beam low beam switch has power coming from it in both low and high positions. I switched the relays around still no lows only high. Anyone have any ideas or a wiring diagram? 07 All American

Rulebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:25 PM   #2
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 31 ft. HDX
Engine: CAT C7 250 hp
Rated Cap: 36,300 GVW
Both low beam filaments are burned out in your headlamps. High beam uses a different filament. Check for power at the light bulb. When was the last time you saw both low beams operational ? Good Luck!
jimmythomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:09 PM   #3

After spending hours trying to figure it out they started working. My guess is a connection in the compartment on the drivers side, was loose, as I was messing around looking for something loose and they came on. I am installing a set of aftermarket lights in the bumper in case this happens again. The low beams are terrible so the extra lights will be nice.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:52 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulebreaker View Post
After spending hours trying to figure it out they started working. My guess is a connection in the compartment on the drivers side, was loose, as I was messing around looking for something loose and they came on. I am installing a set of aftermarket lights in the bumper in case this happens again. The low beams are terrible so the extra lights will be nice.

I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving things as they are. What happens when you're driving down the road and your lights go out? Before you even had the chance to switch on your high beams it could cause an accident. And what if high-beams are inappropriate at the time & you blind oncoming drivers (another way to potentially cause an accident)? And what if the problem, which you admit not knowing what it is, might affect the high-beams too in the future? Maybe a loose harness plug that houses both circuits but right now only the low beams are losing connection?

Seems a lot easier to troubleshoot your problem and get your headlights working properly, reliably, and safely than adding more lights (which may or may not be DOT legal / aimed appropriately).

FYI you're likely not stuck with those headlights. We replaced our sealed beam headlights with Hellas / H4s. Direct drop-in replacement, legal wattage, and a world of improvement.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:18 PM   #5
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 31 ft. HDX
Engine: CAT C7 250 hp
Rated Cap: 36,300 GVW
I second that response -- It's not fixed!
Think of it this way -- you took your headlamp problem to a repair shop and they charged you money to fix it -- the way you did -- How would you feel when they fail ?
You would not be happy.
Please find the problem and fix it. Adding more lights is not the correct repair.
If it was a loose connection -- it's still bad until you find it and do a proper repair.
Do you have a Fire extinguisher ?
jimmythomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 04:50 PM   #6

I went threw and cleaned the terminals on the block where the headlamps are. But without a wiring diagram I really do not know what else i can do.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:02 PM   #7

The dealer the bus was originally purchased from gave me wiring diagrams and they said" The issue might be a blown diode down stream from the head light switch."
Old 01-08-2022, 03:48 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulebreaker View Post
I went threw and cleaned the terminals on the block where the headlamps are. But without a wiring diagram I really do not know what else i can do.
Follow the wires from either the last switch or from the headlights themselves.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote