Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2021, 06:06 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Lots of random dead end wires

Hi! I have a 2006 Ford e450 eldorado shuttle bus. I’m just starting to install a backup camera (wired, by preference) and I noticed a whole mess of wires that seem to just go nowhere. I’d like to trace them back to the source and wire the camera that way (ideally put it on a switch, bc I have a big switchboard with many a open slot)
Was wondering if anyone with a similar vehicle has some clue to the pre threaded wires running through this beast. It has a wheelchair lift and automatic door, so some may be from that?
I guess I’d also like to know a good way to test which wire goes where up front. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
48AA80BC-AA80-43B3-9C04-09AD7F0CBD34.jpg   5BC576EC-1936-4410-B677-55AE7DA91CD7.jpg   image.jpg  

profquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:48 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger, 29000lb
It's normal to find multiple unused wires in a wiring harness. This is the same for passenger vehicles and commercial vehicles. A newly installed wiring harness usually comes with connections for all possible options for that vehicle model.

All cables should be easily traced using their color code and/or number identifier.

If you really want to make your life easy, pick up an inexpensive tone and probe test. Home Depot has them for under 50 bucks.
Make sure to also get a standard ac/dc multimeter. Nothing fancy is needed. Even the $25 ones will give you the right information.

Using a toner only takes a few minutes to learn and will save you many hours worth of headaches.

Be cautious depending solely on electrical wiring manuals. Vehicle electrical systems are routinely retrofitted to fit their particular aftermarket needs.
No manual can substitute proper toning and electrical tracing.

As far as using the extra wires for your backup camera, it's definitely doable.
You'll need one cable for +12V power and two cables for video.
This setup would have video running without insulation from interference.
Considering how short the run is and the low power 12 volts, you might be able to get away with it.
If you end up with too much interference then you'll have to pull your own coax for video.

You're welcome to message me if you have any other questions.
mrlupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:24 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you! Coincidentally while I was looking at the wires this guy came up to me in the parking lot who used to do power systems for LA and later retrofitting metro busses for CNG. He also suggested a toner
The camera I have has a tiny four pin connector that appears on a few backup cameras. I feel unsure how to tease apart which does what.
profquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:05 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger, 29000lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by profquad View Post
Thank you! Coincidentally while I was looking at the wires this guy came up to me in the parking lot who used to do power systems for LA and later retrofitting metro busses for CNG. He also suggested a toner
The camera I have has a tiny four pin connector that appears on a few backup cameras. I feel unsure how to tease apart which does what.
If you feel unsure then don't bother cutting anything. Your camera should have come with a cable that plugs into the 4 pin connector and converts it to either RCA or BNC and splits out the power cables.

If it splits out to RCA then get yourself some Baluns like these.
exgoofit Phono RCA Screws Male Female Plug to AV Screw Terminal Audio/Video Connector Adapter (10 Male +10 Female Connector) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HY1WP1...0XGBTAV9H5J1MB

If it's BNC then use these.
BNC Male Balun Connector Adapter for Coax CAT5 to CCTV Surveillance Video Camera - Choose a Pack of 10/20/30/50/100 Units (10) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Q2S7PF...ing=UTF8&psc=1

The connector type really just depends on how your going to use the camera.
Are you going to have it going to a DVR and recording 24/7? If so then you're going to have to convert the cable to BNC eventually.
If you're going to simply connect it to an analog monitor or entertainment system head unit, you're going to need RCA.

On my rig I have six cameras recording full time to three separate DVR's. I chose to run everything with BNC because it's cheap and what I've known for the last 25 years.
mrlupr is offline   Reply With Quote