Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2018, 01:33 AM   #1

Making sure I have electrical figured out

Hey! Looking at my soon to be electrical system and was hoping someone could check my math to make sure i've got it all right.

My system (Lights, chargers, fridge) calls for 1600w/day.

I plan on going a little overboard on the build for redundancy, so Im thinking
6x 160w panels for a total output of 4,800w/day with 5 hours of sun, with 4x vmax batteries @100ah each, and *if* im right, it should hold 4,800w of power.

Thus giving me all the power I need plus a day or so of extra power if needed.
Im super new to all this so if anyone has any corrections or suggestions id love
to hear them. Thanks!

HighSeasCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Watts per day makes no sense, proper units for power storage / used are watt hours wH / kWh or amp hours aH.

4800W panels might actually produce 1600AH for a @12V bank in good conditions, but remember, only what's not consumed by loads is available for charging. Can't have too much solar, it's only money. . .

But get proper high quality deep cycling batteries,

ideally bought locally.

I'd go for at least 1200AH storage for that many panels, double that would be closer to a normal ratio. Lead is heavy though. . .

Are you **sure** you need a sealed bank? AGM are more expensive, more fiddly to care for properly and don't last as long.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #3

I see now. Those were just highly reviewed, im still far away from setting this up so i'm going to start looking into different batteries. Thanks!
HighSeasCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Answer my question and I'll give you a good shortlist.

Not everything is suitable for shopping online.

In some cases best to identify exactly what you want, then **call** the manufacturer (yes by voice, during business hours) and they give you a few authorized sellers close by.

That probably do not compete on price, so race-to-the-bottom competition doesn't wipe out all reasonable profit margins and send the whole industry down into oblivion, or at least off to China.

The internet is great for generic cheap stuff where you don't want to pay extra for quality.

And products where the cost of transportation is a very low % of the value add.

Lead is heavy though. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electricity