Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2021, 03:31 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
True, but my experience is that the higher up the ventilation the better. The center high part of the roof inside gets so hot when cooking or generating any heat and the floor is vastly cooler so I prefer ventilation coming where it’s naturally efficient. I thought us turning all eight bus lights into 7” fans for the same purpose but the fan where the hatch was made a lot more sense for me at the moment…. Still think it would be a good idea if you’re roof is maxed out with solar.

rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:43 PM   #22
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffffffff View Post
I thought us turning all eight bus lights into 7” fans for the same purpose but the fan where the hatch was made a lot more sense for me at the moment…. Still think it would be a good idea if you’re roof is maxed out with solar.
Sounds like an interesting idea. You should do it.

However, on my bus, there will be no bus lights and there will not look like there is a place for bus lights, and there will be no remnant of bus lights, and there will be nothing resembling bus lights.

There are already vents under the front fascia that provide plenty of ventilation while moving and I have Air Conditioning, so not much need for extra ventilation while in motion.
WiredForStereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:49 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Yeah it all depends on your build and purpose. I’m stationary for the moment, no a/c in New Mexico at high altitude so it doesn’t get too hot, rarely humid and we get cool nights all the time. I couldn’t live without my fan, and the sun is so strong I don’t need tons and tons of panels, only 1800w active right now for my bus and house, so the roof fan makes more sense. If you’re gonna run a/c in humid spots it’s likely way better to have the solar and the fan makes less sense.
rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:06 PM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: 8.3L Cummins Turbo
max solar panels on a 40' bus

I have 2kW in 100W flexible panels that I installed about 3 years ago. Today, this could be 150W panels....

--marcel
Old 05-29-2021, 07:32 PM   #25
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoplane View Post
I have 2kW in 100W flexible panels that I installed about 3 years ago. Today, this could be 150W panels....

--marcel
Thanks for sharing.

How do you like them?

Looks like you could fit possibly twice as many on there, if they're flexible enough to go further down on the side. If it were me (and I realize it is not) I would put them on say, four parallel strings with independent MPPT controllers to get the max production no matter the orientation.
WiredForStereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:47 PM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: 8.3L Cummins Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredForStereo View Post
Thanks for sharing.

How do you like them?

Looks like you could fit possibly twice as many on there, if they're flexible enough to go further down on the side. If it were me (and I realize it is not) I would put them on say, four parallel strings with independent MPPT controllers to get the max production no matter the orientation.
So, I could use more power...
In terms of more of them... These ones weren't quite flexible to rotate them.. and they're about 1" too long .... But.. I could use fewer, larger panels and get more overall power.

I have them in parallel connections in 8 rows, 4 with 3 panels per row and 4 with 2 panels per row.. I then series connect the "like" groups and then divide them across two MPPT controllers feeding 4 220AH batteries in parallel.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:22 AM   #27
Bus Geek

400+ watt panels much better

each gets a Victron 75/15

into a 24V bank
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, generator, solar