Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2018, 10:10 PM   #1

MFAM Module - made up or actually a part?

Hello all, I am the proud owner of a 1997 GMC B7 class C school bus. I have an issue, the mechanic shop I hired to inspect the brakes told me that a module that triggers an alarm on the dashboard has failed - something called an MFAM - Multi-Function Alarm Module. From my recollection, it detects brake pressure when the key is in the ignition and detects the electric pump building pressure (I might have that description all wrong..) I'm being told this part has been discontinued by GM, and the mechanic shop cannot find this module.

Anybody familiar with this issue? I'm not prepared to condemn the bus because it is in amazing shape. Any help would be very appreciated.

amundorsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
quick and dirty

From just a quick and dirty look, this is a real, not imaginary part. found in many gm products. probably not the same module in all. I do not think it should prevent a brake system from functioning. That would be odd. Your comment about electric motors and brake pressure has me wanting more information.

why did you bring the bus into the mechanic?
did you notice the brakes not functioning correctly?

regards, william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:46 PM   #3

When I drove it from the previous owners house to my own it drove just great. I stopped for propane and when I went to take off home a warning light came on. When I parked it at home, the rear brakes were giving off some serious heat and an odor that wasn’t ideal. The mechanic shop is giving me the impression the electric pump isn’t working but they don’t seem eager to fix it. I’m going to bring it home and look into it myself.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:09 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by amundorsx View Post
When I drove it from the previous owners house to my own it drove just great. I stopped for propane and when I went to take off home a warning light came on. When I parked it at home, the rear brakes were giving off some serious heat and an odor that wasn’t ideal. The mechanic shop is giving me the impression the electric pump isn’t working but they don’t seem eager to fix it. I’m going to bring it home and look into it myself.
That seems like the rear brakes were dragging. If they're not releasing, are the brake lines or hoses old and damaged internally? Maybe they're not allowing fluid to flow freely back through them? It sounds more like a mechanical problem, not an electronic one. Whatever the cause, it must be fixed before driving again - brake fires have burnt more buses and trucks that almost anything else.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #5
Bus Nut

I have a 1974 Chevrolet C60. It has 2 brake systems on the rear wheels. 2 brake cylinders per wheel. 1 system is front wheels and rear wheels, the other is just rear wheels. I know my brakes are an older version ( no electric backup pump), 2 brake boosters on the frame ( 1 per system), 1 master cylinder.
Hope this helps
Gordon
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #6

Thanks for the info all. I purchased a $6 rubber mallet and have beaten the bejezuz out of the calipers in hopes to shake some of the rust off. No drag brake anymore but the fun won’t stop there. I will have the lines, calipers, rotors, pads and drums looked at in time. Can anyone suggest a good website for ordering general parts for a 1997 blue bird?(ie. mirrors, glass for entrance door and general parts). Ideally shops that will shop to Canada