Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
She's not always stationary that bus has been places.
And she DOES run a mini split.

I'll dig up the pics later.

edit- I stand corrected-

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: happy camper RV repair
Chassis: international
Engine: 360 international
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
We use our motor to travel from montana to other income property we have in destin Florida when I bought the bus it had 11324 miles on it now it has 189000 miles on it, so the mini split bounced down the road for over 50,000 miles. It lasted almost 2 yrs. I have american made Ac system in buses we built over 10-15-20 yrs ago that still work, and some of those are in entertainer buses that log 50k to 60k miles a yr. one could argue that a mci or gmc bus rides better or smoother, and that's true to a degree but I have air rides on my rear axle and loaded as my bus is, it rides very well.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:41 AM   #63
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 24v Cummings
Hey guy. some i'm looking at a mini split, and im confused on these two. And wanted to get some feedback and thoughts...

Everything seems the same, noise, input, features, but the only thing I can see as a difference is the SEER rating. Both units are rated for 400sqft and my space is about 200. Is the extra efficiency worth the 300. I suspect over time will save battery and fuel, but I don't know if that is marginal or not.

I also understand there might be some heating issue with the heat pump at low temp, and that I when outside temps are below 32f it might work as well. Am i correct on this?

9000 BTU Inverter AC - Heat Pump - 1K
24.5 SEER
Thermocore T125S-H109 9000 BTU Ductless Split heat pump 24.5 SEER
9000 BTU Inverter Split - Heat Pump - 7K
15 seer
KSIN009-H119 9000 BTU Mini Ductless Split AC - Heat Pump
chuckneerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #64
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
The best advice I can give after throwing five mini-splits into the dumpster is as follows...

1. Find out where it is made. If anywhere in China, run, don't walk away. Mitsubishi (I believe still made in Japan) has the top rating and best history for these units.

2. Make sure whatever you get has manual back up controls on the unit. All of the "wireless remotes" have had issues that can otherwise leave you with no means to operate the unit.

3. Get the highest SEER you can afford if you will be operating off your battery ban a lot.

4. ALL of the "cheap stuff"...is just that and will cost you plenty down the line.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I have a planer that is a Delta Milwaukee, made by Rockwell. I thought all three were different until I saw this tool that a friend of the family gave me.
I also heard that Stanley tools are the same as Craftsman now.
Ford is moving two small cars to a Mexico plant. We shall see if they keep up quality standards. I remember when Gateway move production/manufacturing to Mexico. They did little testing/quality checks before shipping products out to fill orders that had been waiting. Problems started showing up and...
Whatever you buy will wear out. Build it yourself and you have a better idea when it will wear out and how to repair it.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:23 PM   #66
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
I have a planer that is a Delta Milwaukee, made by Rockwell. I thought all three were different until I saw this tool that a friend of the family gave me.
I also heard that Stanley tools are the same as Craftsman now.
Ford is moving two small cars to a Mexico plant. We shall see if they keep up quality standards. I remember when Gateway move production/manufacturing to Mexico. They did little testing/quality checks before shipping products out to fill orders that had been waiting. Problems started showing up and...
Whatever you buy will wear out. Build it yourself and you have a better idea when it will wear out and how to repair it.
Stanly and craftsman are not the same. Stanly, Bosch, Dewalt, are made in the same place.

Ford has always been garbage, so what does it matter where it's made?

As for Mexico, the best trucks ever made, The Dodge first gen Cummins from 89 to 93 were made there. As I said, best rucks ever made.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #67
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
So, I'm getting ready to mount my condensers, should I mount it solid or use some sort of rubber isolator? They came with some rubber feet that you bolt through, but that wouldn't really isolate it unless I use some sort of rubber under the bolt head too.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #68
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
So, I'm getting ready to mount my condensers, should I mount it solid or use some sort of rubber isolator? They came with some rubber feet that you bolt through, but that wouldn't really isolate it unless I use some sort of rubber under the bolt head too.
I would use some small Honda car engine mounts found at a pick and pull for cheap.

Like these. They are a bit softer than the round style.

I have mounted a few radiators this way. They work great.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 07-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #69
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I like it, that's a clever idea. I'm trying to work out in my head whether it matters which direction those are loaded, ie the force on the middle eye pulling toward or away from the mounting ears. Does direction make a difference to the vibration absorption? The rubber probably will last longest if it's arranged so the forces are compressing the rubber rather than stretching it, right? In that case it looks like one of those pictured is designed to have the force pushing toward the mounting ears while the other two are designed to have the force pulling away from the ears.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:37 PM   #70
Bus Geek

I would base that decision on how much the radiator your mounting weighs.
If it's light weight, it may be better to stretch the rubber for a softer ride.

Nat

Old 07-18-2015, 05:55 AM   #71

mini split hvac heat pumps

I'd really like to install the mini split unit as well but really couldnt find much about them in a rv install. Everything I've read is positive in regards to the inverter type. My only major concern would be installing the lines were they aren't stressed going down the road and also water leakage from a unit mounted inside... I have read that some of the mci converters have used these with mixed reviews. Most of the negatives were from people without experience using them. So I really like to hear from someone who has real world experience with them best regards
nfmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:28 AM   #72
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #73

Year: 2004
Chassis: Freightliner
Rated Cap: 40
Does anyone know if you can mount the interior unit on the floor? You could run all of the needed fittings right through to the outdoor unit?
Old 06-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #74
Bus Crazy

You could but, remember, cool air travels down and it's hard to get it to go up. I suppose you could duct it.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:43 PM   #75
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC/2000 RE 3904
Engine: 8.3L Cummins Diesel Allison MD3060
Somewhere
You ever finish your mini split?
Would love to see your progress.
I’ve been eating up your posts, thanks for sharing!
smithcredibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:22 AM   #76
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcredibus View Post
Somewhere
You ever finish your mini split?
Would love to see your progress.
I’ve been eating up your posts, thanks for sharing!
This is a pretty old thread.. They've been in working great for four years or so there are newer threads showing installation.