Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2021, 09:18 PM   #1

Mini split and fridge. What do I need.

2001 Thomas pusher.
Cat engine, had factory AC and heat. I’m invv be the process of removing both. ( any tips n that would be appreciated also.)
Want to wire the bus to use primarily at campgrounds on shore power.
Want 2 mini splits and a residential fridge.
Will run all 12 volt led for lights and some small person fans on the bunks.
What the best way to power the big stuff. Would like to power at least 1 mini split and the fridge while driving
Thinking about replacing alternator or adding a dedicated alternator just for the camper stuff and leave the bus electronics alone.
What do I need please help. New to all this dc and battery stuff.

ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:35 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Want to wire the bus to use primarily at campgrounds on shore power.
Alright...

Quote:
Want 2 mini splits and a residential fridge.
Will run all 12 volt led for lights and some small person fans on the bunks. Would like to power at least 1 mini split and the fridge while driving.
Fridge will be fine. Really depends on the mini split you want to power. Specific make/model. Also, mini splits will likely not be able to cool the whole rig in motion, best you can hope for is it will cool you by blowing directly on you.

Quote:
Thinking about replacing alternator or adding a dedicated alternator just for the camper stuff and leave the bus electronics alone.
Why mess with the alternator?

Quote:
What the best way to power the big stuff.
This really depends on a lot of things. Your overall electrical budget, etc. I'm thinking you'll want a 12V system, look hard at this Renogy DC-DC with MPPT:

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Charge.../dp/B093BB5JKF

It will take solar and alternator input and charge from both. Even if you don't want to do any solar I would suggest throwing a panel or two up... they will greatly offset your energy costs during the day and reduce the amount of time you'll need to run the engine when unplugged.

Battery bank, we still need to figure some things out but it seems like while on the go you'll be relying on alternator. If you go small (AGM, 200Ah) and put some good solar panels up (400W - 600W) you might get away with running the fridge. Small + no panels, not a chance, you'd need 400Ah+ and they will feel tiny without some kind of passive input to offset costs.

I'm assuming the split will be running when the alternator is generating power... if you want to run any split off battery, AGM 600Ah+. 1200W+ of solar. Also... to power split off inverter you need to make one particularly big decision... Mainly a 120V or 240V split. Some 240V splits are really efficient, but they require what's called a split phase inverter. There are budget options and expensive options there, but it is a decision to make.

Too little info from your post to cover all the details, this is going to be more a conversation than a base recommendation. Feel free to PM me, we can even setup a phone call if you'd like to talk it out a bit.

Best of luck.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote