Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2021, 10:17 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Mixing batteries?

in my bus currently I have 2 banks, 1 bank is 2 BatteriesPlus Blue top AGM house batteries.. and the other is 2 of the same starters.. they are connected via an isolator when the bus is driving.. (I also put the isolator to connect all batteries together when on the victron shore charger)..

now we are doing a job and the job site has 32 12 volt SLA batteries (110AH each).. they are nearly new(16 months) and are decomissioned.. (we can do with as we please) can I add a few of these into my house bank and still charge them together with the blue-tops?

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i would say go for it but in know you will here on here and other places not to mix them.
i would have some load tested just to see there health and make sure they wont drag the rest of your batteries down.
wish i could get my hands on some of them.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:01 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
definitely going to get them tested.. these are all spoken for.. my biz partner and I have great ideas for them (he has a solar system and controllers for his house.. ) and me for my bus.. Looking at the logs in the charging system they were connected to they have never been discharged..

old phone systems run on 48 VDC, the rectifier in this system is actually a really nice BMS as well .. according to it the batteries are in good health.. (not sure what it uses to determine.. but I pressed the test button and it clicked clunked, whirred and came back with 98% health)
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:17 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Wow, what a find! I definitely would use them. I'm sure you'll find enough in the 32 that are at a similar level to match them up.

From everything I've been reading, AGM, Gel or SLA are so close to each other that it seems you could use the same charger to maintain them.

Yet, maybe set them up as separate banks and use a charger that can handle two different banks individually, or two separate chargers. You could use one bank as a backup, or for completely different loads, like electronics on one bank and house on the other.

Just thinking out loud.