Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2022, 01:01 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
I can easily raise or lower the panels by hand, but during the summer they'll probably mostly remain in their stowed position if I can recharge my battery banks without raising them. Yes, it was a lot more work to do all this, but on dull winter days when I need to maximize solar harvest I think I'll be happy that I can tilt the panels towards a wan sun.
Our plan is that if we aren't getting sufficient charge we will run a genset capable of powering the onboard 48v 120A charger. If we find ourselves with insufficient battery storage we have built in the ability to increase the bank by 50 or 100 percent by simply sliding in and connecting one or two more batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
In addition, I provided water on the roof so I can easily and safely wash the panels:.....
We will also have water on the roof, sourced from our reclaimed water tank that will also supply the shower and washing machine.

We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 10:50 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
The shade gains in the southwest are eaten by the heat radiated towards the roof by the panels. We thought the same thing when we installed our panels in 2018. We were expecting it to help cool the bus by shading the roof. What we soon realized is that the panels absorb heat from the sun and radiate it towards the roof. Having some insulation on the roof between the panels and you helps. Allowing an air gap for convection helps as well.
I've noticed the same thing, here in Arizona. I mentioned this in another thread, where someone planned to shade their roof and cool it with solar panels. I shared my observations...like yours...but they seemed pretty confident it would result in a cooler roof. I expect they'll find out, like we did.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 02:20 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
I've noticed the same thing, here in Arizona. I mentioned this in another thread, where someone planned to shade their roof and cool it with solar panels. I shared my observations...like yours...but they seemed pretty confident it would result in a cooler roof. I expect they'll find out, like we did.

It will result in a cooler roof than the sun hitting it directly. To the extent the standoff distance lets air circulate freely under the panels, maybe even substantially. It also increases the efficiency of the panels to have the air cool the bottom sides as much as possible.
TaliaDPerkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 02:47 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaliaDPerkins View Post
It will result in a cooler roof than the sun hitting it directly. To the extent the standoff distance lets air circulate freely under the panels, maybe even substantially. It also increases the efficiency of the panels to have the air cool the bottom sides as much as possible.
On our Freightliner, I did raise the panel array up about a foot above the roof because of the heating. But my experience, and that of Rock-N-Ruth and others, is that typical mounting heights do not actually cool the roof. It's like painting the roof black. Like you said, adequate standoff would change that...and it did noticeably when we raised the panels on our Freightliner. But I never see panels installed with that much clearance. I'm just sharing my experience, though.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 03:01 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Dayum! Y'alls setups are making me feel a little inadequate with my 4x100 aH @ 48v/51.2v Sig Solar LifePower4 batteries Although I do have room for expansion in my build plans if needed. Current plan is ~4800W on the roof with another ~1400W available for temporary/portable. The roof panels will be permanently oriented. The portables can be angled/adjusted

Ham - how's the 6500 working in your rig? My 6500EX from Signature Solar is sitting on the pallet in my garage yet, and will be for a while as I'm just getting started on my build. I've heard some concerns that it's not really designed for mobile like Victron, but like you took the gamble for the cost savings over Victron and hoping if there are issues the warranty will save my bacon.
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 05:45 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
Dayum! Y'alls setups are making me feel a little inadequate with my 4x100 aH @ 48v/51.2v Sig Solar LifePower4 batteries
With FOUR LifePower4 batteries you've got 20kWh. 100ah at 48v is equal to 400ah at 12v so you've got 1600ah @12v equivalent. An FLA, SLA, AGM, or GEL battery bank would need 3,200ah to be equal to your bank of lithium.
When comparing though, it's always best to convert everything to Watts. Then you're comparing apples to apples (as long as you look at useable Watts in the battery bank).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
Ham - how's the 6500 working in your rig? My 6500EX from Signature Solar is sitting on the pallet in my garage yet, and will be for a while as I'm just getting started on my build. I've heard some concerns that it's not really designed for mobile like Victron, but like you took the gamble for the cost savings over Victron and hoping if there are issues the warranty will save my bacon.
Ours is sitting in the box (after opening and checking it) in the living room. I'm still working on chassis systems as I blew an alternator and found a short to ground in a heavy wire that I'm trying to trace but we've had rain rain rain and cold temps....no workee in such conditions these days.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 05:56 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
With FOUR LifePower4 batteries you've got 20kWh. 100ah at 48v is equal to 400ah at 12v so you've got 1600ah @12v equivalent. An FLA, SLA, AGM, or GEL battery bank would need 3,200ah to be equal to your bank of lithium.
When comparing though, it's always best to convert everything to Watts. Then you're comparing apples to apples (as long as you look at useable Watts in the battery bank).

Ours is sitting in the box (after opening and checking it) in the living room. I'm still working on chassis systems as I blew an alternator and found a short to ground in a heavy wire that I'm trying to trace but we've had rain rain rain and cold temps....no workee in such conditions these days.
Yep I'm well situated for my power budget. That's 1/5 of my Tesla's battery capacity for my build, haha. The builds with 25-30 and even 40 kwH are just amazing...
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote