Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 09:41 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
I wouldn't build my own bus bar. They don't cost all that much in the first place and it's worth the price for peace of mind.

Check out VTE: https://www.vteworld.com/content/ele...al_busbars.php

They don't appear to list the prices any more, but when I last ordered from them I was surprised by how affordable their products were.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:42 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Mounting a standard bus bar to a wooden surface isn't an issue. The important bit is "standard" meaning not a chunk of copper screwed down to a piece of wood. You want something listed/tested. If you make proper connections with proper sized cable, the bus bar won't ever get hot so mounting it to wood isn't an issue.

I oversize all of my wire runs and fuse/breaker them according to what they are powering.. not wire size (as typically you fuse/breaker to protect the wire). Be sure to seal all terminal ends (heat shrink, etc) and torque fasteners to proper specs. Check them from time to time as vibration can loosen things. Beyond that, you shouldn't have any issues.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
Mounting a standard bus bar to a wooden surface isn't an issue. The important bit is "standard" meaning not a chunk of copper screwed down to a piece of wood. You want something listed/tested. If you make proper connections with proper sized cable, the bus bar won't ever get hot so mounting it to wood isn't an issue.

I oversize all of my wire runs and fuse/breaker them according to what they are powering.. not wire size (as typically you fuse/breaker to protect the wire). Be sure to seal all terminal ends (heat shrink, etc) and torque fasteners to proper specs. Check them from time to time as vibration can loosen things. Beyond that, you shouldn't have any issues.

"If you make proper connections with proper sized cable, the bus bar won't ever get hot so mounting it to wood isn't an issue."

I would say that it isn't an issue if it was "listed/tested" as being able to screw it to wood.

My daddy used to say..."If, if, if.......If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass".
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote