Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl_ View Post
Also, could you explain how the Dual Switch is being utilized. I think I understand what you are doing there, but don't want to make assumptions.
Did you ever figure out what this switch is for? I've got a switch between the batteries and inverter, and some breakers between the solar panels and the charge controller, then charge controller to battery bank. Those are the only switches in my system though and, for the life of me, I can't see what this dual switch is all about. I'm not all that savvy with this kinda thing though

Old 10-30-2020, 09:16 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Did you ever figure out what this switch is for? I've got a switch between the batteries and inverter, and some breakers between the solar panels and the charge controller, then charge controller to battery bank. Those are the only switches in my system though and, for the life of me, I can't see what this dual switch is all about. I'm not all that savvy with this kinda thing though
My assumption (I try not to assume, but it seems OP has checked out of this thread), is that the purpose is to consolidate the switches you describe above into a single component that disconnects all energy sources (batteries and PV)

Possibly they want a single "Oh ****" switch that takes the whole system offline with the turn of a single switch. Or possibly they are just trying to save 20 or 30 bucks and not have to buy multiple switches.

The schematic is pretty non-intuitive, and a little unorthodox. Initially I had the same reaction as JodyandRenee ("why would they connect their PV directly to the batteries) and I also couldn't figure out why tehy would have a disconnect in the middle of their battery bank (not on the positive or negative). After staring at it for long enough, I came to see that (while I still don't know why the disconnect is in the middle, it will break the circuit so should cut power from/to the batteries, and if the PV to MPPT wire is on a separate isolated circuit, it should function as normal. Yet the one switch could disconnect both power sources.

Here is my attempt at simplifying and illustrating how the two circuits may be wired:

One thing I'm struggling to interpret/comprehend the more I look at it, is what the implications of having the disconnect switch in the middle of the battery bank like that. I am uncomfortable with it, but I'm not sure if there is a problem with it, or maybe even advantages to it.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diagram, electricity, inverter, solar, wiring