Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2023, 11:05 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Need quick answer - VPM Tune

My VPM is being replaced in the shop, and I need a quick answer on this question. Since a new VPM is going to be flashed, what do I say to the dealership if I want to have the values souped up a bit. I've heard that values can run the engine a little harder and that they are nerfed when sent to the school districts for sale. Since I'm paying for the flash, I assume I can ask for some better values to get a little more power out of this bus.

Anyone know the technicals of what to ask the dealership for? They are getting ready to ship it out and I need a quick answer to give them.

Cruise Control lockout?
Engine HP to run at?
Turbo Speeds?
Speedometer limiter removed?

Thanks

nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 11:34 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
If you give them the parameters then are you responsible if the vpm doesn't work? What will happen if you don't?
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 11:54 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
I would give these guys a call and ask them the same question.
ewo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 12:44 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
If you give them the parameters then are you responsible if the vpm doesn't work? What will happen if you don't?

I wouldn't give them the parameters, but I imagine they have pre-set parameters for school districts vs regular non school district buses would they not? I'm just asking what are the fields to request performance enhancements for?

Also EWO1, Orion is another $800 tune which would be needless if they can do it at the dealership at same time as they flash a fresh VPM. Why pay twice? But I see what you are saying. Ask the questions of what parameters can be flashed. Got it.
Old 12-07-2023, 12:55 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post
I wouldn't give them the parameters, but I imagine they have pre-set parameters for school districts vs regular non school district buses would they not? I'm just asking what are the fields to request performance enhancements for?

Also EWO1, Orion is another $800 tune which would be needless if they can do it at the dealership at same time as they flash a fresh VPM. Why pay twice?
You missed the point. I wasn’t suggesting you do it twice. I was suggesting you call them, ask the same questions you did here. Maybe they would have a more qualified answer for you.
ewo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 02:19 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Yes I understood after I read it the first time. Even corrected my post above. Thanks Sir.
Old 12-08-2023, 07:59 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if the shop is a navistar shop they will run the VPM through NAVKAL, this downloads the factory parameters from navistar based on the VIN... if they just take it out of the box and install it, then it will run all default parameters like the engine has been doing since the VPM died..

if a new VPM was ordered and VIN given, the seller of the VPM likely pre-programmed it for the VIN and it will just run.. to soup it up would require either a request to navistar or the "god mode" servicemaxx which can reset the EFRC code for a higher horsepower model. I have no idea what kind of shop you have it in and if they have the capability to program the modules.. or what tools they have..
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 08:08 AM   #8
Bus Geek

on your engine, the turbo is all mechanical non VGT.. its a single geometry so the turbo speed isnt something that gets changed in the VPM..

I cant remember what transmission you have.. if its an AT545, you could safely run it up to the 210 HP (EFRC 2141) without issue.

the default is to run 175 HP... thats the base cal (no VPM comms) setting.
Old 12-08-2023, 01:14 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
on your engine, the turbo is all mechanical non VGT.. its a single geometry so the turbo speed isnt something that gets changed in the VPM..

I cant remember what transmission you have.. if its an AT545, you could safely run it up to the 210 HP (EFRC 2141) without issue.

the default is to run 175 HP... thats the base cal (no VPM comms) setting.

That's correct, it's at 175 HP default, and i have the AT545 as well. Thanks for the EFRC code.

They came back and stated that they can do these changes, but to make those changes it requires an ECM flash as well which they would charge me another $600 to do. For that much money additional, I might as buy an Orion and do the changes myself for $800 and have the tool to do modifications later with.

Thanks for helping me make the decisions and the info! I'll let ya'll know when it's fixed.
Old 12-09-2023, 07:55 AM   #10
Bus Geek

on your 1995 you would use a Hydra for the 3 box system to tune it.. not sure if the hydra allows you parameter changes like an Orion does.. the orion is for the the single box NavPak systems..

yeah the shop wantsto reflash the latest calibrations into your ECM weith NavKal.. sounds like they go through the whole setup the proper (but pricey) way.. I have and use NavKal and anytime you connect an ECM up it will download the latest calibrations to it from navistar's cloud. it downloads based on VIN.. so not sure how they are going to turn up the horsepower without going through the navistar dealer hoops and grab the latest ECM flash... the VIN in navistar cloud will still be a 175..

changing the EFRC (and the Horsepower) parameters is what triggers the ECM to use the higher level stored caloibration.. I do know the later ECM calibrations made mine have much better cold start manners...