Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2022, 05:10 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Smile New to solar, appreciate any help

Hi, I've been researching solar for the past 10 months and really just need some humans with experience to talk to before making some purchases.
I have a 15 passenger bus with no appliances. I do have a bunch of music gear and plan on using the bus to record in and play shows out of.

I have decided to go with 24v for plenty of reasons, seen enough discussion about it to feel good about this. I don't own anything that uses 12v, and the bus already has two 12v car batteries. Regarding that, my first question is can I hook up the alternator to the lifepo4 batteries I'm buying to top them off while driving? Saw something about that early in my research, lost track of it tho. Does that only work with 12v?

Since I record music, I am also concerned about noise from the inverter. I understand that some are much quieter than others, and would like to hear from some experience.

My remaining questions are just looking for assurance that I'm making the right purchases.

Here are the items from my current shopping list:

Daly BMS 8s 24v 100a: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3YLLYB17&psc=1

Voltworks 24v 2000W pure sine wave inverter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KII65IAA&psc=1

EPEVER MPPT 30a: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...U6LSCEIG&psc=1

Renogy flexible solar panel 175W 12V: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Ok, so I'm getting at least 2 of the panels, maybe 3 or 4. Will add more later if needed. I know I should have at least 2 in series, but would 3 in series for 36v going to the MPPT work? Or do I need 4 to stay at 24v? I thought I read that the MPPT will work mor eefficiently with a higher voltage coming in.

Is the 2000W inverter an appropriate size? I saw people comment on how infrequently the fan comes on, which I like. But if I'm blasting music for a couple hours will it suffice? Obviously this depends on the sound system, but I haven't quite crossed that threshold yet.

I noticed most inverters have USB ports. Are there any with other DC converters?

I also really don't understand the limitations of a 100a BMS, but I know they are important.

Oh, last but not least are the batteries.. I'm looking at 8 3.2v LiFePo4 280ah batteries from Docan Power.

What else do I need? cables... wires.. I am not sure about gauges.

Really appreciate any tips and advice, hoping to work on this in June!

profquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:41 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Hello please, I'd like to order soon, thank you
profquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:07 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Were I you, I'd go with larger panels, 300+ watts in the 40voc range. There are lots of options. Also, I'd go with a larger charge controller just to give yourself some 'room'. A 2000w inverter can draw in the neighborhood of 170 amps, full tilt so keep your loads in mind. Just getting past setting up and sound check could run down your batteries significantly. As far as wire size/gauge, there are numerous charts on-line. A 100 amp BMS will, theoretically, prevent a discharge rate in excess of 100 amps. You'd need to check the data sheet for specifics. There's quite a few people 'round here that know much more than me and I'm sure some will be around shortly.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote